Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guns at the G20?

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    In case you don't get Pittsburgh news in your locale, there is a big push on for second amendment activists to converge on Pittsburgh and openly carry handguns when the G20 is in town in September. The idea is to "show those foreigners about freedoms".

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of what the Secret Service can do about such a challenge? Open carry is legal in Pennsylvania.

Do the foreign leaders come with their own security services?

I'm concerned as I have to teach nearby on the first day. Campus security normally does a full-alert if a gun is reported on campus (all weapons are prohibited). I'm thinking I should take a deck of cards, some lunch, and a few soft drinks. It'll be a long day sitting in a smelly stockroom with twenty students. I think I feel swine flu coming on...:cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2
    I've been seeing a few gatherings lately around Washington state. Open-carry BBQs. I don't know if they have always done this and it's just getting new attention due to the current political climate or what.

In the case of the G20, wouldn't they rather see the guns openly rather than all those same people carrying concealed? Personally, I'm not a big fan of open carry for no reason. But, I do want the ability to do so without law enforcement hassling me if there is a situation that warrants it. Like rioting, looting, or what have you.

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

How embarrassing. Other countries have moved beyond carrying firearms, very successfully.

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Other countries moved beyond letting insurance companies deny health insurance to people who are in at-risk groups, have pre-existing conditions, or who are too poor to pay for any coverage. I'm ashamed that my country cannot care for its citizens. Does Switzerland have universal health, care? Is there a correlation with the high percentage of automatic weapons in peoples's homes?

6. Jul 17, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I do not carry a gun openly, except if I am walking down the road to neighbor's property to hunt or am returning home after crossing his place.

7. Jul 17, 2009 #6
    Ignorance and arrogance?
    They might end up showing this.

8. Jul 17, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Um, are you arguing that there is a correlation between health care and gun ownership? :uhh:

9. Jul 17, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Security at such an international event is probably being dealt with with local police. What do you think is going to happen, some wacko with his gun out surrounded by even more people with guns is going to go try to kill someone?

10. Jul 17, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Apparently, you have a pretty high irony-filter. Nothing to see here, folks; go back to your homes..,

11. Jul 17, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My filter must be turned off. I didn't catch it either. Did it have to do with the OP's lunch?

12. Jul 17, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

It is about 11:01 here and Russ is doing some very creative editoring. CYA!

13. Jul 17, 2009 #12

russ_watters

Yeah, I missed that one too. I must need another beer.

14. Jul 17, 2009 #13
    I believe that was bit personal/emotional post.

15. Jul 17, 2009 #14
    LOL, this is an excellent point!! American gun owners will secure the perimeter! The Secret Service can take the day off.

16. Jul 18, 2009 #15
    I believe that all foreign ambassadors on official business receive a Secret Service security detail.

http://www.secretservice.gov/protection.shtml

yup.

And if the President is attending then there will obviously be plenty of secret service.

I have no specific or first hand knowledge but I am fairly certain that they can remove anyone from the area that they see as a possible threat, especially if the president is there.
    Just theorizing I'd say they may likely decide not to make a confrontation of it. Instead they may simply make sure that the crowd is all in a designated area and bring the guests in through a backway out of sight of the crowd. So maybe we'll see some conservative commentary about the guests at the G20 "sneaking in the backdoor for fear of Free Americans".
    Of course if Obama is there they are unlikely to take any chances at all. If they can control the area well enough they should be able to prevent any of these demonstrators from getting any where near the building and with warning about their plans ahead of time they should be ready.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  17. Jul 18, 2009 #16
    Oh? How is the US not included. It's been several years since I noticed anyone carrying a firearm other than the public bully-boys. But, of course you mean denyal to carry. Why didn't you say so?

18. Jul 18, 2009 #17

berkeman

Several states are still liberal about open carry, like Texas and apparently the state in the OP. But yeah, in Cali, certainly no open carry, and pretty restriced CCW. Then again, given the high percentage of nut jobs here locally.... Er, oops.

19. Jul 18, 2009 #18

berkeman

BTW, if you travel, it's a good idea to check the open-carry laws of the state you're visiting. There have been some pretty embarassing situations where visitors from restrictive states have gone to open carry states, and been startled in the local mall while shopping.... :bugeye: :biggrin:

20. Jul 18, 2009 #19

JaredJames

Gold Member

Can someone please give me a good reason why people need to own guns? I just don't see the need (I live in the UK). Ok, I'll allow you for hunting if that's what you're into (me personally it's a no, but hey whatever floats your boat).

Please don't give the whole 'to protect yourself' argument, I don't buy into it. We don't have them and we're just fine (a nice metal bar suffices for me :biggrin:).

For people to 'protest' like this at the G20 is simply arrogant. We should be moving forward to remove guns from the public.

21. Jul 18, 2009 #20

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Switzerland mandates health insurance. At the minimal level, it's pretty basic but one cannot be turned down for it. I don't know if there is a public insurance option; most if not all coverage is private. Most residents buy supplementary health insurance which is rather like the US system, except it's usually not an employment benefit.

If you get sick or injured without insurance, a hospital will treat you, bill you, and upon discharge the police will arrest you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook