Guns at the G20?

• Thread starter TVP45
  • Start date
They need to own a gun to protect their family from a home invasion. They need a gun to protect themselves from a methhead robbery while they are walking down the street. They need to protect themselves and their family if there is a riot, looting, civil unrest. It's better to have a gun and never need it than to need it and not have one.

And I'm not even talking about those things that happen every few hundred years to a country where a gun is definately needed. That's why people insist on exercising their right to own a gun.
Ah yes, because we in the non-gun countries have those problems much worse than those in pro-gun countries don't we.

If there is such a problem with methhead robbery, put more police out, simple. If there is a crime problem in the UK, they put more patrols out.

When was the last time I faced rioting, looting or civil unrest to the point the police/army lost control and I required a gun???

They need to own a gun to protect their family from a home invasion. They need a gun to protect themselves from a methhead robbery while they are walking down the street. They need to protect themselves and their family if there is a riot, looting, civil unrest. It's better to have a gun and never need it than to need it and not have one.
Currently, I don't have a (strong) position about guns but to make your argument valid you need to prove that countries with more gun restrictions have more home invasion/robbery victims.

Last edited:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The idea is to "show those foreigners about freedoms".
Good idea :rolleyes: However, if this does go ahead, the only outcome will be that the US taxpayer pays for more armed bodyguards, and more police in the area. I'm also pretty sure that the secret service can do almost anything they like with respect to gun restrictions, or blocking off access to the parts of the city involved, if they deem any extra thread on their president or any foreign leader.

So yes, cool idea, but if they (or you) think they have any chance of getting close to any country's leader with a weapon, then they have another think coming!

Do the foreign leaders come with their own security services?
Yes. That's like asking whether the US president takes secret service abroad with him.

Last edited:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
When can I vote on UK policy?
You don't. You can have an opinion if you like, just like jared did. I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with expressing opinions on issues that affect us all.. perhaps you know better, though.

tchitt
Did I say that? Personally I would love to have a G36c, but I also realise what would be the point? What would I do with it? Where would I use it? So from that respect, I do want one. I just see no reasonable explanation as to why the public should require guns. So this re-writes your above statement as "I do want one so nobody should have one". Makes sense doesn't it?

There are a lot of people who claim it is their 'right' to carry a gun, it is to do with their 'freedom'. But this does not answer my question. I want a logical and justifiable answer as to why people insist on the NEED to own a gun?

A guns is designed with one thing in mind. To kill. You can dress it up as much as you want but its purpose is simple.

Of course guns are designed to kill but they're a lot of fun to shoot. Target practice is a pass-time for a lot of people...

The reason guns should continue to be legal is that if they were illegal only criminals would own guns. Most of the people who kill people with them don't have a right to own them anyway because they acquired them illegally or they're felons.

There are all kinds of reasons why owning a gun is a good idea. What if some sort of calamity befalls us and the rule of law ceases to be? How would you defend yourself from anarchistic ruffians who want to take your food? Why do you NEED a reason to own a gun, and why should they be prohibited from the general population?

Why do you NEED a reason to own a gun, and why should they be prohibited from the general population?
Your basic claim is that owning a gun protects you. This is not obvious to me. Do you have any kind of statistical study, which you trust, that you can provide for us to read.

For instance, if people are stupid enough, gun owners could be more likely to kill themselves while cleaning their gun than to protect themselves in the rare events when it is necessary. I'm not saying it's the case, I'm just saying it should be easy to display data.

Well firstly, the gun lovers gave a child an uzi, which he shot, and the kick caused it to recoil back and shoot him in the head. Killing him stone dead. There is a news report on it: http://www.childinjurylawyerblog.com/2008/10/boy_accidentally_shoots_himsel.html
A damn good reading why you don't want guns around, not to mention accidents involving kids and guns in the home.

"Why do you NEED a reason to own a gun"
For the same reason I don't buy ladies underwear. I don't have a requirement for it. It's what police are for.

"and why should they be prohibited from the general population? "
I'll answer that with a direct quote from yourself:
"Of course guns are designed to kill"

Before you start arguing rubbish like "a car can kill in the wrong hands", a car (or any other object you may choose) is not designed to kill. It is designed to transport people (again, or whatever job it is for). A gun is quite simply there to kill. And so by allowing them in the general populous you are giving people a way of killing each other and only that.

Also, as I said before, there are some things I accept you want a gun for. Like you said, sport shooting and hunting etc. But to want to carry a gun down the street clearly shows you are willing to use it on someone, to kill someone. (I suppose it could just be a gonad enhancer???)

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can we please keep this thread on topic.

This is a discussion about guns at the G20, not a discussion on the right to bear arms.

negitron
Science Advisor
Those two things are the same, not to put too fine a point on it.

Evo
Mentor
This topic has been beaten to death in a number of threads already.