Guns for four year old children

In summary: Personally, I think it's up to the parent to make the decision, but I also think children should be taught about firearm safety, just not with a gun.
FlexGunship said:
Eh, I could get behind this if the alternative were worse. But in one fell swoop, you've basically made father/son hunting trips, a classic American pastime, illegal.
If it means innocent animals won't get killed, then I'm all for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see alcohol brought up as a comparison. In Oregon, and I believe other states, underage kids are allowed to drink alcohol under adult supervision. They can't buy it, but they can drink (at home, with adults). This seems similar to guns, they can't buy them but they can use them under adult supervision.

edit - I say adult, but I meant guardian or parent. I don't think it can be any adult.

FlexGunship said:
I wish I knew what to say to this. I have to assume this happened in a time before it was known how dangerous it is to give young children alcohol.

My father once confessed to giving me a taste of beer when I was only a few years old (maybe six or seven?) just to discourage me from bothering him about trying it. Obviously I hated the small taste I got, and it was a LONG time before I was ever curious about beer again. His confession included a guilty apology and an explanation that he had no idea how dangerous it was (which I felt was unnecessary given the scenario).
Yes, it was a very long time ago and people didn't know what they know now. He is a much different person now that he's grown up. BTW, during that time, many mothers, including my own, smoked when they were pregnant.

WannabeNewton said:
If it means innocent animals won't get killed, then I'm all for it.

I'm NOT a hunter (like you, the execution of wild animals does not interest or appeal to me), but I respect the right of others to hunt. It's a part of our heritage as a species. Besides, my childhood neighbor is a deep sea fisherman, and I LOVE fresh tuna steaks.

ModusPwnd said:
I see alcohol brought up as a comparison. In Oregon, and I believe other states, underage kids are allowed to drink alcohol under adult supervision. They can't buy it, but they can drink (at home, with adults). This seems similar to guns, they can't buy them but they can use them under adult supervision.

edit - I say adult, but I meant guardian or parent. I don't think it can be any adult.

I like that better.

ModusPwnd said:

I'd be fine with that modification to my position. It doesn't actually change the disposition of this incident though, since the kids were not under supervision.

FlexGunship said:
Okay, fine. My point was more about that fact that they cause more child deaths per year than firearms made for children but there's no equivalent uproar.
Well I agree that in terms of outrage, guns are the squeaky wheel, but in terms of my opinion, some of those bikes do have enough performance to strain the definition of "children's toy".

FlexGunship said:
and I LOVE fresh tuna steaks.
Can't argue with tuna :smile:

WannabeNewton said:
Can't argue with tuna :smile:
Not unless you can breathe underwater!

russ_watters said:
Not unless you can breathe underwater!
Is this a Pixar movie idea I see hatching? Yey!

micromass said:
I never thought I would agree with you on something involving politics. But this post proves me wrong :tongue2:
Speaking of squeeky wheels, discussions here tend to focus on economics and foreign policy, two issues on which I am solidly conservative. But even though they never affect my voting, gun control and abortion are still considered benchmark issues and help get me labeled as "moderate" on rating tests.

Borg said:
Let me Google that for you ...
Thanks. I was wanting to see if this logo was what a news commentator called "targeting kids".

crickett.jpg

According to cabela's sporting Goods.

Crickett Single-Shot Rimfire Rifles

If you’re looking for a fun firearm to get your young shooter started with, consider these single-shot rimfire options. Each bolt-action model sports a blued barrel and the added safety feature of being able to shoot only one round at a time. This also teaches beginning shooters to make every shot count. All are lightweight and easy for youngsters to carry at the range and in the woods. Available: Davey Crickett – Durable synthetic stocks available in pink or black. Target-style peep sights. Weighs just 2.5 lbs. Chambered in .22 LR.

http://answers.cabelas.com/answers/8815/product/217335/crickett-crickett-single-shot-rimfire-rifles-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recentq

Added safety feature?? it only takes one shot to kill someone.

I had one of the little rifles when I was about 11. They only came chambered for the .22 cal short ammunition. There is a tremendous difference in the muzzle velocity between the short and the long rifle.

No child should ever be alone with a weapon that fires the .22 cal long rifle ammunition loaded or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tragedy for everybody involved. Let there be no doubt about it.

It reminds me of the debriefing we got from our oldest daughter when she pronounced herself adult. We were okay raising kids but there were a few things in which we failed. She never got Ken of Barbi, design pumps, and a toy gun. The latter was my fault. In my military profession I got to fire off many guns with the objective to kill other humans. But no matter how legitimate that might have been or not, I develloped a strong resentment against it and I opposed to getting the kids (innocent) toy guns. Kids can easily play: "pow pow you're dead" but they have no beginning of an idea what that implies. I mean you can't be educational enough to point out the immorality of using guns on humans.

Micromass, you're totally right.

edward said:
According to cabela's sporting Goods.

Crickett Single-Shot Rimfire Rifles

If you’re looking for a fun firearm to get your young shooter started with, consider these single-shot rimfire options. Each bolt-action model sports a blued barrel and the added safety feature of being able to shoot only one round at a time. This also teaches beginning shooters to make every shot count. All are lightweight and easy for youngsters to carry at the range and in the woods. Available: Davey Crickett – Durable synthetic stocks available in pink or black. Target-style peep sights. Weighs just 2.5 lbs. Chambered in .22 LR.

http://answers.cabelas.com/answers/8815/product/217335/crickett-crickett-single-shot-rimfire-rifles-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recentq

Added safety feature?? it only takes one shot to kill someone.

I had one of the little rifles when I was about 11. They only came chambered for the .22 cal short ammunition. There is a tremendous difference in the muzzle velocity between the short and the long rifle.

No child should ever be alone with a weapon that fires the .22 cal long rifle ammunition loaded or not.

If you're marketing a product for kids, the product should have some safety precautions that make it safe for the age group you're targeting. I have to agree that only being able to shoot one round at a time is pretty weak when it comes to safety precautions. And this case is different than marketing tobacco and alcohol to adults even though you know the products could wind up in the hands in of children. This is a product designed to be used specifically by children. I'm not sure what modification they could make that would make it safe, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably one of the saddest stories I've read this week. During the last time gun safety was brought up in this forum, I was in the chat discussing with Evo on how I had approximately 20 some odd guns and my 6 year old daughter is completely obvious to them all. After that conversation, I took out one of my pistols and laid it out on the kitchen table and brought my daughter in. She was pretty terrified of it because in her mind, "guns hurt people." So I took it apart and taught her about it and gave her some rules on what to do if she ever sees a gun.

My goal as a parent is to never have my child afraid of something because she doesn't understand. I want her to fear something out of respect for the danger it can pose. That's why we walk through the woods and I teach her about the poison berries vs good berries, dangerous spiders to take outside vs the ones you should call daddy to kill, etc. So I wanted the same things with guns. I know some people think it's insane to introduce a gun to a kid so young, but where we live, I'm sure she'll see them at some point at friends house in a corner or on a wall, so I figured I rather have her respect them then afraid of them or even worse, curious of them.

Last edited:
Marnemath your post is the healthiest approach .

Around junior high school kids go through a stage of being fascinated with power and forbidden fruit. Your daughter's familiarity with firearms will insulate her from that enchantment. She just may be an example for some other kids.

My Grandpa showed me how to shoot with a.22 single shot when I was about 6. His caution with the gun instilled respect. I never messed with guns much more until my late twenties. I just wasn't interested and, frankly, some of the kids I grew up around worried me as to their judgment.

It's a shame he didn't just shoot and kill his damn mother instead.

Why does everybody want to up-gun when the kids are barely house-broken? Today it's a .22, tomorrow it'll be a kiddie-Barrett .50 cal. Don't they make BB guns anymore?