Guns, Germs, & Steel: Review of Jared Diamond's Work

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, Guns, Germs, & Steel is a book by Jared Diamond that explores the reasons behind the disparities in power, wealth, and technology between different societies. Diamond argues that these differences are largely due to geographical and environmental factors, such as the availability of certain resources and the spread of infectious diseases. He also highlights the role of agriculture and domestication of plants and animals in shaping human history. The book has been met with both praise and criticism, but it remains a thought-provoking and influential work in the field of history and anthropology.
Adam
Having just read the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=39069 I have a question regarding somethinf mentioned there. It's been quite some time since I found a copy of Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, & Steel. Way back when, I began reading it, and was astounded by the many errors and assumptions. So much so, that I began taking notes. However, I quickly ended up taking so many notes that I simply gave it up as a complete waste of time.

Has anyone else had a look at this book? If so, did you find it worthwhile? Did you find it a well-considered piece of writing, or an attempt to justify an opinion already devoutly accepted by the author, or something else? In short... what did you think of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam said:
Having just read the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=39069 I have a question regarding somethinf mentioned there. It's been quite some time since I found a copy of Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, & Steel. Way back when, I began reading it, and was astounded by the many errors and assumptions. So much so, that I began taking notes. However, I quickly ended up taking so many notes that I simply gave it up as a complete waste of time.

Has anyone else had a look at this book? If so, did you find it worthwhile? Did you find it a well-considered piece of writing, or an attempt to justify an opinion already devoutly accepted by the author, or something else? In short... what did you think of it?
I too read it a long time ago, and have recently taken it out from my local library. Diamond certainly makes many assumptions, but errors? I'd be interested in hearing from you as to what errors you found (not just minor ones, nor material that's since been superceded by later research results - tho' these latter are also very interesting).

Yes, I found it well written, and if there were a book of comparable depth and length, which 'attempt to justify [a quite different] opinion already devoutly accepted by the author', please let us know!

I did actually find a few books at the local library, similar in nature, similar in weight and usefulness as bludgeoning weapons. However, it was quite a while ago. I'll go back soon, and if I remember, I'll find some titles for you.

Nereid said:
I too read it a long time ago, and have recently taken it out from my local library. Diamond certainly makes many assumptions, but errors? I'd be interested in hearing from you as to what errors you found (not just minor ones, nor material that's since been superceded by later research results - tho' these latter are also very interesting).

Yes, I found it well written, and if there were a book of comparable depth and length, which 'attempt to justify [a quite different] opinion already devoutly accepted by the author', please let us know!

I have a review of the book at my website http://www.neoeugenics.com

Others also have reviewed the book, and it is mostly propaganda, and does not correctly portray differences as Diamond states. He set out to make a political statement surrounded in science and produced a just-so story.

nuenke said:
I have a review of the book at my website http://www.neoeugenics.com

Others also have reviewed the book, and it is mostly propaganda, and does not correctly portray differences as Diamond states. He set out to make a political statement surrounded in science and produced a just-so story.
Thanks nuenke; I found your website of considerable interest wrt eugenics and 'neoeugenics'.

A phrase about kettles and pots comes to mind, maybe nuenke even used it in his review :wink:

At first, I thought I must have read a different book to the one that nuenke reviewed; later I was puzzled as to why nuenke didn't address the *content* of Diamond's book (I'm slowly re-reading it, and have finished the parts about plant and animal domestication - as far as I can see, nuenke didn't mention this ~1/3 of the book).

nuenke writes; "So the salient parts of this book are summed up in just a few pages by Diamond, and expose his bias, no doubt a reflection of his extreme ability at self-deception in the promotion of his political agenda" and "the standard academic Marxist shrieking that we have heard for the last thirty years" You declare Diamond to be "a Marxist with a universalist agenda." In the interests of fairness, may we know your political position please nuenke?

Nereid said:
Thanks nuenke; I found your website of considerable interest wrt eugenics and 'neoeugenics'.

At first, I thought I must have read a different book to the one that nuenke reviewed; later I was puzzled as to why nuenke didn't address the *content* of Diamond's book (I'm slowly re-reading it, and have finished the parts about plant and animal domestication - as far as I can see, nuenke didn't mention this ~1/3 of the book).

nuenke writes; "So the salient parts of this book are summed up in just a few pages by Diamond, and expose his bias, no doubt a reflection of his extreme ability at self-deception in the promotion of his political agenda" and "the standard academic Marxist shrieking that we have heard for the last thirty years" You declare Diamond to be "a Marxist with a universalist agenda." In the interests of fairness, may we know your political position please nuenke?

I reviewed Diamond's book with regards to my interests in eugenics. Of course I do not comment on parts of books or articles that are not of interest to eugenicists. I will often for example review just a chapter of a book because everything else is irrelevant.

As to my political position, I like Diamond am a particularist, not a universalist. I erred about Diamond. Later I came across his interest in Nazi like programs of racial management, but he often espouses just the opposite. So maybe Diamond and I in fact have the same agenda with regards to particularism. I will make a change in my review and insert the new material I have come across.

For a fuller explanation of my politics, see my Mission statement.

This is another good review by Michael Levin:

http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/stalkers/ml_ggs.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Guns, Germs, & Steel" about?

"Guns, Germs, & Steel" is a book written by Jared Diamond that explores the factors that led to the dominance of certain societies over others throughout history. Diamond argues that geographical and environmental factors, such as access to certain resources and the spread of diseases, played a significant role in shaping the development of civilizations.

What is the main argument of "Guns, Germs, & Steel"?

The main argument of "Guns, Germs, & Steel" is that the inequalities between different societies and cultures are not due to any innate superiority of one group over another, but rather are the result of geographical and environmental factors that allowed some societies to develop faster and become more dominant.

What evidence does Diamond use to support his argument?

Diamond uses a variety of evidence to support his argument, including historical data, archeological evidence, and observations of current societies. He also examines the impact of factors such as agriculture, technology, and the spread of infectious diseases on the development of civilizations.

What criticisms have been made of "Guns, Germs, & Steel"?

Some criticisms of "Guns, Germs, & Steel" include accusations of oversimplification and Eurocentrism. Some argue that Diamond's focus on geographical factors ignores the role of human agency and individual choices in shaping history. Others have pointed out errors and inconsistencies in Diamond's arguments and evidence.

What is the significance of "Guns, Germs, & Steel" in the field of anthropology?

"Guns, Germs, & Steel" has been a highly influential and controversial book in the field of anthropology. It sparked discussions and debates about the role of geography and environment in shaping human history and challenged traditional theories of cultural evolution. It has also been criticized for its deterministic view of history and its lack of consideration for cultural and social factors.