Guys help me out with this.Im not convinced with something

• Thread starter Abhishekdas
  • Start date
In summary, having a scientific mindset allows for a logical and evidence-based approach to understanding something, while avoiding bias and personal opinions. To determine the validity of information or claims, one should critically evaluate sources, look for supporting evidence, and consult experts. Correlation refers to a relationship between variables, while causation indicates a direct cause-and-effect relationship. To effectively communicate findings, one should use clear and concise language, present data and evidence in an organized manner, and consider the audience. It is also acceptable for a scientist to change their mind based on new evidence or information. Remaining open-minded is essential for progress and advancement in science.
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

The power supplied by a force acting on a particle moving in a straight line is constant.
(1)Find the variation of velocity with displacement s.
(2)Find the variation of displacement with time.

Homework Equations

vdv/ds=a

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)

I started off with power being constant so:
mav=c1(some const)
=> av=c2(other const)
=> (vdv/ds)*v=c2
=>v2dv=c2*ds
integrating you get v3/3+k1(const of integ)=c1*s+k2

Now in the question nothing about initial velocity or displacement is given and the answer is v varies wrt s(1/3) which you get after integration only if constants of integration are 0...

Similar problem in part 2...if constants of integration are 0 then you get s varies as t3/2 which is the answer...

So i think the question is kinda incomplete...Isnt it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would like to offer some input on your attempted solution.

Firstly, it is always important to carefully read and analyze the given information in a problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, the given statement is that the power supplied by a force acting on a particle is constant. This means that the force itself may not be constant, but the power (the rate at which work is done) remains constant. Therefore, the equation you have used (vdv/ds = a) may not be applicable in this scenario.

Secondly, you have correctly recognized that the problem is incomplete. In order to solve for the variation of velocity with displacement, we need to know more information such as the force acting on the particle and its initial velocity and displacement. Without this information, we cannot accurately determine the variation of velocity with displacement.

Similarly, in order to find the variation of displacement with time, we would need to know the force acting on the particle and its initial velocity and displacement. Without this information, we cannot accurately determine the variation of displacement with time.

In conclusion, I recommend revisiting the problem and carefully considering the given information before attempting to solve it. It is always important to fully understand the problem before attempting to find a solution. I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies.
Research Scientist

1. Why is it important to have a scientific mindset when trying to understand something?

Having a scientific mindset allows you to approach problems and questions in a logical, systematic, and evidence-based manner. It helps you avoid bias and make more accurate conclusions based on evidence rather than personal beliefs or opinions.

2. How can I determine the validity of information or claims about something?

To determine the validity of information or claims, you should critically evaluate the source, check for supporting evidence, and consider alternative explanations. Additionally, you can consult reliable sources and experts in the field for their insights and expertise.

3. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable is associated with a change in the other variable. However, this does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the change in the other. Causation, on the other hand, indicates a direct cause-and-effect relationship between two variables.

4. How can I effectively communicate my findings or conclusions to others?

To effectively communicate your findings or conclusions, you should use clear and concise language, present your data and evidence in an organized manner, and use visual aids or examples to support your points. It is also important to consider your audience and tailor your communication to their level of understanding.

5. Is it okay to change my mind about something based on new evidence or information?

Yes, as a scientist, it is important to remain open-minded and willing to change your perspective or conclusions based on new evidence or information. The scientific process involves constantly questioning and evaluating our understanding of the world, and being open to change is crucial for progress and advancement in science.