Solve Physics Problem: Car Speed at Homecoming Event

• Thread starter pureouchies4717
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with their physics homework and seeking help on a specific question. The question involves a rocket attached to a car that provides constant acceleration for 9.0 seconds and then decelerates at a rate of 5.0m/s^2. The car passes a certain point 12 seconds after the rocket is fired and the student is trying to determine the car's speed at that point. They have tried graphing different trajectories and are unsure of how to approach the problem. After receiving a reply, the student thinks they have the answer but then realizes it is incorrect and is still seeking help.
pureouchies4717
ive been working on my physics homework since lasnt night. i don't get hardly any of this

pplease help me on just one other impossible question

Your school science club has devised a special event for homecoming. You've attached a rocket to the rear of a small car that has been decorated in the blue-and-gold school colors. The rocket provides a constant acceleration for 9.0s. As the rocket shuts off, a parachute opens and slows the car at a rate of 5.0m/s^2. The car passes the judges' box in the center of the grandstand, 990m from the starting line, exactly 12s after you fire the rocket.
What is the car's speed as it passes the judges?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have a constant accel and a constant decel. Try graphing the speed and displacement versus time for several different accel rates, and see what that does for the speed versus distance. Anytime something like this stumps you for more than a few minutes, start graphing some possible trajectories to get a feel for what is going on. Like, you'll see how the different possible accel numbers change the speed later on under decel at the judges' position. Try a few sketches, and see if that helps you to work out the right equations...

thanks for the reply, but i have charts for v/t, position/t, and accel/t, but its not really helping much. ill try to list each of the factors i have

tf=3s
a=-5m/s^s
vf=?
vi=0

xo=0
xf=990m

i don't really know how to go about this since it changes its accel

ah i think i got it. is it 15m/s?

EDIT: no its not 15. two tries remaining :frown:

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the speed of a car at a homecoming event?

The speed of a car at a homecoming event can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula: Speed = Distance/Time.

2. What information do I need to solve a physics problem about car speed at a homecoming event?

In order to solve a physics problem about car speed at a homecoming event, you will need to know the distance traveled by the car and the time it took to travel that distance. You may also need to know the mass of the car and the force acting on it.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the speed of a car at a homecoming event?

No, the units of measurement used to calculate the speed of a car at a homecoming event must be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the time must also be measured in seconds.

4. How does the speed of a car at a homecoming event affect its motion?

The speed of a car at a homecoming event affects its motion by determining how quickly it can change position. The higher the speed, the faster the car can cover a certain distance and the more kinetic energy it will have. This can also affect the car's acceleration and braking.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the speed of a car at a homecoming event?

Calculating the speed of a car at a homecoming event can be useful in various real-life situations, such as determining the speed of a car in a race, analyzing the impact of car crashes, and designing traffic control systems. It can also provide valuable information for drivers to make safe and efficient decisions on the road.