Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News GW Bush borderline insane?-the Gog Magog episode.

1. May 29, 2010 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

GW Bush borderline insane?--the Gog Magog episode.

A friend emailed me this strange account from a Secular Humanist newsletter which I do not ordinarily see. It describes a weird but apparently confirmed telephone call that French President Jacques Chirac says he received from Bush in 2003.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=haught_29_5

==quote==
    A French Revelation, or The Burning Bush
    JAMES A. HAUGHT

Incredibly, President George W. Bush told French President Jacques Chirac in early 2003 that Iraq must be invaded to thwart Gog and Magog, the Bible’s satanic agents of the Apocalypse.

Honest. This isn’t a joke. The president of the United States, in a top-secret phone call to a major European ally, asked for French troops to join American soldiers in attacking Iraq as a mission from God.

Now out of office, Chirac recounts that the American leader appealed to their “common faith” (Christianity) and told him: “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East…. The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled…. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people’s enemies before a New Age begins.”

This bizarre episode occurred while the White House was assembling its “coalition of the willing” to unleash the Iraq invasion. Chirac says he was boggled by Bush’s call and “wondered how someone could be so superficial and fanatical in their beliefs.”

After the 2003 call, the puzzled French leader didn’t comply with Bush’s request. Instead, his staff asked Thomas Romer, a theologian at the University of Lausanne, to analyze the weird appeal. Dr. Romer explained that the Old Testament book of Ezekiel contains two chapters (38 and 39) in which God rages against Gog and Magog, sinister and mysterious forces menacing Israel. Jehovah vows to smite them savagely, to “turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws,” and slaughter them ruthlessly. In the New Testament, the mystical book of Revelation envisions Gog and Magog gathering nations for battle, “and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.”

In 2007, Dr. Romer recounted Bush’s strange behavior in Lausanne University’s review, Allez Savoir. A French-language Swiss newspaper, Le Matin Dimanche, printed a sarcastic account titled: “When President George W. Bush Saw the Prophesies of the Bible Coming to Pass.” France’s La Liberte likewise spoofed it under the headline “A Small Scoop on Bush, Chirac, God, Gog and Magog.” But other news media missed the amazing report.

Subsequently, ex-President Chirac confirmed the nutty event in a long interview with French journalist Jean-Claude Maurice, who tells the tale in his new book, Si Vous le Répétez, Je Démentirai (If You Repeat it, I Will Deny), released in March by the publisher Plon.

Oddly, mainstream media are ignoring this alarming revelation that Bush may have been half-cracked when he started his Iraq war. My own paper, The Charleston Gazette in West Virginia, is the only U.S. newspaper to report it so far. Canada’s Toronto Star recounted the story, calling it a “stranger-than-fiction disclosure … which suggests that apocalyptic fervor may have held sway within the walls of the White House.” Fortunately, online...
    ==endquote==

Would Chirac lie in a long interview about this? Would he be getting a theologian to lie about having been consulted about it, at the time, after the puzzling telephone call? Did Chirac misunderstand what Bush was trying to tell him? Could the theologian have fabricated the story and gotten Chirac to back him up? Any comment?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: GW Bush borderline insane?--the Gog Magog episode.

half?

?:devil:?o:)?:devil:?o:)?:devil:?o:)?:confused:

Standard Smilies Ouija conclusion:

standard_smilies_ouija_conclusion.jpg

He was mad.

For those of you who are not completely fluent in English, "mad" is another word for insane.

4. May 29, 2010 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My wife suggests that Bush might have been drunk.
    In Texas I believe it is considered quite normal for a man to get drunk and talk about Gog and Magog. So that would explain it.

5. May 29, 2010 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Saying it drunk or sober, not sure which is worse.

Would really like to believe that this is some sort of hoax.

6. May 29, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Similar comments were alleged before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

I pretty much had Bush pegged as a nut back in 2000 [I don't mean that figuratively]. I can still remember awkening to the news on the tv, in a hotel room, in Georgia, that he, not Gore, had won the election. While still in a slightly hynogogic state, I honestly believed that I was having a nightmare. It turned out that it was a nightmare that continued for the next eight years.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  7. May 29, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps what they are trying to say is grog and egg nog, but it's lost somewhere between the drunken slur and the Texan drawl.

8. May 29, 2010 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Much as I think Bush is an incompetent fool, and would very much like to believe he is insane, I doubt that's the answer here.

My take is that he has always had a tendency to talk rather melodramatically. He often spoke to the public using platitudes, as if the public is incapable of understanding the real issues. I do not think he is clever enough to do this himself, I think he is coached, and is fed phrases that his advisors think will "ring true".

I think that, in his mind, Bush was talking about Gog and Magog for Chirac's sake. i.e. it is less a testament to Bush's beliefs than to Bush's complete lack of respect for Chirac's intelligence.

9. May 29, 2010 #8

Not mad, just damaged from alcohol and cocaine, and never being that bright to begin with. I have a relative who attended Phillips Academy with him, and some later schooling. They used cocaine TOGETHER. Yes, this is anecdotal, but given that this relative still thinks Bush was half-decent, I do not doubt it much.

Besides, evangelicals can be a little nutty when it comes to grasping notions of reality vs. theology.

10. May 29, 2010 #9

He was probably just trying to be funny. I know I'd try that stuff if I got into office. I'd prank call russia all day.

11. May 29, 2010 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That would only apply to Evangelical nuts.

12. May 30, 2010 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bush is an Evangelical.

Note also that being Catholic, Chirac doesn't even believe in end-times prophecies. :rofl:

13. May 30, 2010 #12

I think the topic of Gog and Magog is of special interest to other faiths as well. Not that the other that I am thinking about knows what it is, others are profoundly interested in that topic.

14. May 30, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha, nice avatar!

When I looked at the page, it threw me for a moment. I thought I had double-posted. :rofl:

15. May 30, 2010 #14

Keeping in the theme of tragic. (Bush)...
    Your posting that photo yesterday left a whole house of guests here stunned. I choose to borrow it and continue using it elsewhere so I will not forget.
    How you found this young person photo was a gift to many. Thanks.

(edit)
    Too bad the larger version was taken down because that is where you can see such deeply felt pain.

16. May 30, 2010 #15

Are you talking about Islam? I'm pretty sure the muslims know who/what/where Gog and Magog are/is. :rofl:.

17. May 30, 2010 #16

No, I was talking about Jewish scholars.

18. May 30, 2010 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are still up. Posts 182 and 196
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405826&page=10
    or
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8829/sbs2l.jpg [Broken]

End derailment.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. May 30, 2010 #18

Ah, well, if the prophecy turns out to be true it probably will be important that they know about Gog. :rofl:. That way they know to run away when the time comes and just wait for God to step on in.

I honestly don't understand why G.W. would make reference to Gog and Magog for attacking Iraq. It's pretty well known that these peoples will be coming from far north... probably Russia. How does taking out Sadam have anything to do with the Russians?

I guess it depends which prophecy he's looking at. The one from Ezekiel or the one from Revelations.

Hopefully this invasion never happens because after the battle those who were against God have no more time to repent... and those who were faithful etc. get to live in the millenial kingdom with Jesus. I think I won't be given a chance to repent!!!

20. Jun 1, 2010 #19

The President of the United States should not consider ANY prophecies when making policy decisions (especially when they involve invading another country). :eek:

21. Jun 1, 2010 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

True or not, yes Chirac would lie for an extra Euro. Meanwhile:
    How odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook