1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gymnast force problem

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gymnast with mass 46.0 kg stands on the end of a uniform balance beam. The beam is 5.00 m long and has a mass of 250 kg (excluding the mass of the two supports). Each support is 0.540 m from its end of the beam. In unit-vector notation, what are the forces on the beam due to (a) support 1 and (b) support 2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

this is my teachers solution and i have a question about it..:

For computing torques, we choose the axis to be at support 2 and consider torques that encourage counterclockwise rotation to be positive. Let m = mass of gymnast and M = mass of beam. Thus, equilibrium of torques leads to
    M g (1 . 9 6 m ) − m g ( 0 . 5 4 m ) − F ( 3 . 9 2 m ) = 0 .

my question is where did 3.92 come from? i know .54 is given and 1.96 is 2.5-.54 but where does 3.92 come from? its driving me crazy!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2
    3.92 is the distance between the second support and the first support, solved by taking 5m and subtracting 0.54 twice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook