Equilibrium of Forces on a Balanced Beam | Gymnast Force Problem Homework

• Thread starter wbetting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
This distance is used in the equation for equilibrium of torques, where it represents the distance at which the force on the beam is acting.
wbetting

Homework Statement

A gymnast with mass 46.0 kg stands on the end of a uniform balance beam. The beam is 5.00 m long and has a mass of 250 kg (excluding the mass of the two supports). Each support is 0.540 m from its end of the beam. In unit-vector notation, what are the forces on the beam due to (a) support 1 and (b) support 2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this is my teachers solution and i have a question about it..:

For computing torques, we choose the axis to be at support 2 and consider torques that encourage counterclockwise rotation to be positive. Let m = mass of gymnast and M = mass of beam. Thus, equilibrium of torques leads to
M g (1 . 9 6 m ) − m g ( 0 . 5 4 m ) − F ( 3 . 9 2 m ) = 0 .

my question is where did 3.92 come from? i know .54 is given and 1.96 is 2.5-.54 but where does 3.92 come from? its driving me crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
3.92 is the distance between the second support and the first support, solved by taking 5m and subtracting 0.54 twice.

What is the "Gymnast force problem"?

The "Gymnast force problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a gymnast during a routine, such as gravity, normal force, and friction.

Why is the "Gymnast force problem" important?

The "Gymnast force problem" is important because it helps us understand the physics behind gymnastics and how forces affect the movements of a gymnast. It also allows us to analyze and improve performance by adjusting the forces involved.

What factors affect the forces in the "Gymnast force problem"?

The factors that affect the forces in the "Gymnast force problem" include the mass of the gymnast, the angle and velocity of their movements, the surface they are performing on, and any external forces such as wind or equipment.

How can the "Gymnast force problem" be solved?

The "Gymnast force problem" can be solved by applying Newton's laws of motion and using equations related to force and motion, such as F=ma and Newton's second law. It is also important to understand the specific forces involved in each movement and their direction.

What are some real-life applications of the "Gymnast force problem"?

The "Gymnast force problem" has real-life applications in the field of sports science, where it can be used to analyze and improve performance in gymnastics and other sports that involve complex movements. It can also be applied in engineering and biomechanics to design safer and more efficient equipment for gymnasts.