Gyro-sensor devices

1. Dear Experts

Good day to you all.

I am trying to find out does it take much electrical energy to keep self-balancing devices/machines balanced?

Here's what I know about such machines.

1. a gyro sensor is embedded in a tiny microchip-like device. This device tells the machine how to control the motor to keep it balanced.

2. maybe it also uses an accelerometer to get the job done.

3. the motor compensates or balances the person on the machine by speeding or slowing down.

My question is, how much electricity is typically used in this self-balancing? Is it substantial?

For example, the SBU unicycle or the solowheel.

Kindly could you please advise me a bit.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Hello Experts

Is the balancing action effected by the reverse spinning of the motor or slowing down / speeding up ( in the current direction of the vehicle) of the motor ?

So, in self-balancing, does the controller make the motor spin in reverse or just change its speed without reversing?

4. SteamKing

SteamKing 10,367
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The amount of energy is going to depend on the size of the machine and the magnitude of the forces tending to upset it. If you want a more specific answer, then you will have to ask a more specific question.
  5. Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy 1,864
    Gold Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Hello SteamKing

Yes, you are right. However, I wanted to know in general, how does the balancing work . For example, if to balance the rider, the motor is controlled to spin in a reverse direction (momentarily), then, clearly there is extra energy spent to accomplish this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted