How does a tiny gyro stabilize a massive gun turret?

• Thread starter Israr Hussain
  • Start date
In summary: in the case of tanks the gyro is a reference of level and plumb which the control system uses to compensate the position of the gun in reference to the tank and the gyro which keeps the gun pointed in the direction and at the elevation the crew/fire control has input.its not instantaneous if you hit a bump at just the last second you'll still miss.
Israr Hussain
Hello there. I was interested to know that how a tiny gryo stabilizes a massive gun turret of a tank and how it stablilizes a 12.7 MM gun mounted on a tank or an APC? Its fine that gyro senses the change in orientation, but how does it maintain the orientation of a heavy gun like 12.7 mm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Israr Hussain said:
Hello there. I was interested to know that how a tiny gryo stabilizes a massive gun turret of a tank and how it stablilizes a 12.7 MM gun mounted on a tank or an APC? Its fine that gyro senses the change in orientation, but how does it maintain the orientation of a heavy gun like 12.7 mm?
Presumably it hooks in electronically to the fire control system.

phinds said:
Presumably it hooks in electronically to the fire control system.
Exactly. Can you guide me to a link where I can have the relevant stuff?

Israr Hussain said:
Exactly. Can you guide me to a link where I can have the relevant stuff?
No, I was just throwing out a guess because your apparent incredulity seemed misplaced.

If you didn't get the depot manuals with the ordnance, that's the breaks.

Bystander said:
If you didn't get the depot manuals with the ordnance, that's the breaks.
Well I am a student and want to do a project on this topic.

Hit the library and work on "control theory."

It may be useful searching for information on quadcopter camera stabilisation. The concept is similar and with the recent surge in popularity it may be easier finding information.

It's probably a sensor in a control system, but don't underestimate the force of a fast spinning gyro. Ships have been roll-stabilized directly with gyros. It might be able to stabilize a gun all by itself. Do a quick estimate first.

Last edited:
Israr Hussain said:

Maybe the gyro forces are not used directly. Can you propose a method of using the gyro position and other actuators to stabilize this system? It's your schoolwork after all... :-)

the other place to look for the tech is hand held stabilized cameras. the gyro is like a reference so the equipment knows which way to move to compensate for deviation.in the case of turrets the guns are moved by the same kind of equipment as would a non gyro stabilized turret the difference is in the control system.

Last edited:
Well the gyro helps the balance, but I am guessing there would be some large metal plates sitting on the gyro that support the heavy artillery

aaa16797 said:
Well the gyro helps the balance, but I am guessing there would be some large metal plates sitting on the gyro that support the heavy artillery
in the case of tanks the gyro is a reference of level and plumb which the control system uses to compensate the position of the gun in reference to the tank and the gyro which keeps the gun pointed in the direction and at the elevation the crew/fire control has input.its not instantaneous if you hit a bump at just the last second you'll still miss.

What is a gyro and how does it work?

A gyro, short for gyroscope, is a device that uses the principle of angular momentum to measure or maintain orientation and stability. It consists of a spinning disc or wheel that is mounted on an axis and can freely rotate in any direction. When the gyro is moved or rotated, it will maintain its orientation in space due to the conservation of angular momentum.

What is the purpose of stabilization in a gyro?

The purpose of stabilization in a gyro is to minimize or eliminate any unwanted movement or rotation of a system. This can be achieved by using the gyro's ability to maintain its orientation in space and making adjustments accordingly to counteract any external forces acting on the system.

What are the different types of gyros used for stabilization?

There are three main types of gyros used for stabilization: mechanical gyros, optical gyros, and MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) gyros. Mechanical gyros use a spinning mass to measure or maintain orientation, while optical gyros use the interference of light to detect rotation. MEMS gyros use microscopic vibrating structures to detect rotation.

How is a gyro used in aircraft stabilization?

Aircrafts use gyroscopes for stabilization in various ways. One common use is in the Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS), which uses multiple gyroscopes to measure and maintain the aircraft's attitude and heading. Gyros are also used in autopilot systems to maintain the aircraft's stability and direction.

What are some other applications of gyro stabilization?

Gyro stabilization has a wide range of applications in addition to aircrafts. It is used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to accurately determine position and direction. It is also used in cameras and camcorders to minimize shaky footage. In robotics, gyros are used for stability and control, and in consumer electronics, they are used in image stabilization for smartphones and gaming controllers.