Gyroscope Experiment Homework: Find Centre of Gravity & Nutation Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment in which a gyroscope is set up on a V-shaped stand and the goal is to find the balance point and center of gravity. The length of the gyroscope spindle can be adjusted using a locking screw, and the position of the center of gravity must be accurately measured using vernier calipers. The conversation also mentions precession and nutation, and the possible relationship between the center of mass and nutation. However, without a clear understanding of the diagram, the connection between the text and the diagram is unclear. A request is made for the diagram to be reposted with clear labels for the different parts of the setup.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Ok so in my lab we have been given a set-up as shown below
upload_2018-1-27_0-18-40.png

Minus the horse shoe dector on the right hand side. During this set-up up we need to find the point where the balance point and centre of gravity are equal (as I understand) here is exactly what my script say

"Centre of gravity
Now set up the gyroscope so that it is balanced on the V-shape stand base with gyroscope
support pole as shown in the figures below. If the balance point is exactly at the centre of
gravity, then the gyroscope will remain at any orientation without falling or righting itself.

Try altering the length of the gyroscope spindle by changing the position of the locking
screw, as shown in the figure. Identify the position corresponding to centre of gravity. This
will approximately correspond with the line marked on the axle. However, for the following
measurements the position must be known accurately, so make a record using the vernier
callipers."

and the accompanying diagram to show the adjustment.

upload_2018-1-27_0-22-14.png

So as I mentioned my understanding of this, is that once the centre of mass is found, say I tilt the gyroscope on the left slightly then it would stay in that position, it would not topple over or correct itself back to its true centre of gravity?

So with the centre of mass set-up up we carried out the experiment find the precession, so when we carried it we measure the precession but whiles doing so we had quite a bit of nutation at the time. Now I understand that at you can't have precession without nutation and that the higher the rotational frequency the higher the nutation.

But what I am currently trying to figure out is, dose the centre of mass play a role in the nutation? What I mean by this, say that the gyroscope was not balanced i.e adjust the length as the script has mentioned and it was set into motion and precession was recorded would the nutation effect increase or decrease, I feel there is some relation between centre of mass and nutation but I can't quite seem to fully understand the concept.

Could someone please advise, many thank in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_0-18-40.png
    upload_2018-1-27_0-18-40.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • upload_2018-1-27_0-22-14.png
    upload_2018-1-27_0-22-14.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
I was not able to figure out how the text relates to the diagram. One cannot see exactly what connects to what and how.
Please repost the diagram indicating which parts constitute the gyroscope, which the V-shaped base, and which the support pole.
In particular, I understand from the text that the gyroscope axle can incline from the vertical, yet in the diagram there appears to be a clamp at the top to hold things vertical.

1. What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disk that is mounted on an axis and used to maintain orientation and balance. It is commonly used in navigation systems, vehicles, and other devices to measure and maintain rotational motion.

2. How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. When the spinning wheel or disk is rotated, it creates a force that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. This force, known as gyroscopic precession, helps to maintain the orientation of the axis and the stability of the gyroscope.

3. What is the centre of gravity in a gyroscope?

The centre of gravity in a gyroscope is the point where the weight of the spinning wheel or disk is evenly distributed. It is the point where the entire weight of the gyroscope can be considered to act when it is in motion.

4. How is the centre of gravity found in a gyroscope experiment?

To find the centre of gravity in a gyroscope experiment, the gyroscope is first balanced on a knife edge or a point. The position where it balances is the centre of gravity. This can also be determined by measuring the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the gyroscope balances.

5. What are nutation effects in a gyroscope?

Nutation effects in a gyroscope refer to the small wobbling or oscillation movements that occur when the gyroscope is in motion. These movements are caused by external forces acting on the gyroscope, such as friction or air resistance. They can be minimized by ensuring the gyroscope is well-balanced and reducing external forces.