Gyroscope & Sound in deep space

In summary, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum, but radio waves can. This is why we can "listen" to the heavens using radio telescopes. All frequencies of electromagnetic radiation can travel at the speed of light in a vacuum, but they behave differently when interacting with matter.
Poorichard2
Just a few questions I have been trying to find answers to.

A) Will a gyroscope function in deep space with the same properties
as on Earth ?

B) Does sound travel in deep space? if yes in what form of property
will it travel? i.e. such as light being a carrier or?

Physics news on Phys.org
A) Yes a gyroscope works in both freefall and in a vacuum (special attention is needed to build joints, etc. that work in a valuum). Gyroscopes and instruments build on the gyroscope principle, are used to stabilize telescopes and navigational devices in orbit.

B) No, sound is strictly a material wave. If two astro (or cosmo) nauts wished to speak, not on radio, they had to touch their helmets together, so the soulnd would travel through the contact. Sound ordinarily travels through the air, but it can also travel through water, metals, and so on. But not through a vacuum.

They used to do an experiment in beginning physics classes, where an alarm clock would be put under a bell jar and the jar evacuated. Then you could see the alarm go off, but you couldn't hear it.

Thank you for your reply, it will help tremendously.

About sound, that is what I thought but I am a
little confused. Didn't I just see on educational
channel that sounds were being picked up from
outer space? or the sounds the sun flares create?

I think I can answer this one. Sound waves cannot propogate through a vaccum, however electromagnetic (EM) waves can. The most familiar EM waves are those in the visible spectrum (light), however EM waves with a lower frequency (longer wavelength) such as radio waves which can't be seen by the naked eye are detectable with the right equipment (radio telescopes, radio antenae). Many objects in space give off radio waves and these can be detected on earth. Some radio astronomers even speak of "listening" to the heavens, however these are not the same as audible sound waves. Hope that clears it up.

Gabriel

to Allday

You have answered my question, I appreciate it.
Just one more question, You mentioned EM waves
in the lower frequency can. Are the lower frequency
waves able to travel at the speed of light? I assume
not but if this is true not being able to travel at the
speed of light then what we hear by using the right
equipment would lag behind the speed of light as an
example: Seeing the sun flare first than picking up the
sound of the flare later.

All frequencies of EM radiation can travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. They have different behaviors when interacting with matter. Radio waves (low frequency/long wavelength) go through your house as if it were not there. Light waves (middle frequency) are stopped and scattered by matter - that;s how we see. And x-rays or gamma rays (high frequency-short wavelength) cannot be stopped by anything and tear through matter like bullets.

But they all travel at the same speed when there is no matter in the way.

1. What is a gyroscope and how does it work in deep space?

A gyroscope is a device that uses the principle of angular momentum to measure and maintain orientation. In deep space, where there is no gravity, a gyroscope can maintain its orientation without being affected by external forces, making it a useful tool for navigation and stabilization.

2. Can sound travel in deep space?

No, sound cannot travel in deep space as it requires a medium, such as air or water, to propagate. In the vacuum of space, there is no medium for sound waves to travel through.

3. How do scientists study sound in deep space?

Scientists use instruments such as microphones and seismometers to detect and analyze sound waves in deep space. They also use data from space probes and telescopes to study phenomena that produce sound, such as solar flares or collisions between celestial bodies.

4. What are some applications of gyroscopes and sound in deep space?

Gyroscopes are used for navigation and stabilization in spacecraft, satellites, and telescopes. Sound waves in deep space can also provide valuable information about the composition and movements of celestial bodies, as well as potential hazards for astronauts on spacewalks.

5. Can sound travel through other forms of matter in space?

Yes, sound can travel through other forms of matter in space, such as gas, dust, and plasma. However, the properties of the medium can affect the speed and behavior of sound waves, making it a complex phenomenon to study in space.