1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gyroscopic precession

1. Apr 12, 2004 #1
    hi. not sure if this belongs in here, so sorry in advance for any trouble caused.
    i am in a bit of a predicament with a physics assessment of mine; i need to know the mathematical relationships between the precessional frequency, the couple (or torque, as i have read it called) and the angular momentum of a gyroscope, and (here comes the tricky bit) i would like to understand it...
    i just need someone to point me in the right direction, i mean i hardly know which questions to ask or where to start looking (sob sob).
    i am quasi-familiar with the concept of moment of inertia being the equivalent of mass in linear motion and angular velocity that of velocity (duh), but i have not found a set of formulae that would allow me to make a connection between the aforementioned...er... things...

i come with the rather unsound basis of a-level physics, which is why it will be an especially challenging task for you get me to understand it. good luck (and thanks).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2
    [tex]\theta r = s[/tex]
    [tex]\omega r = v[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha r = a[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

4. Apr 13, 2004 #3
    thanks cookiemonster.
    i'm unsure about a couple of things, though...

what are the "s" and the theta in [theta]*r = s

what are the alpha and the "a" in [alpha]*r = a

what are the "r"'s in both the above equations (just to be sure...)

and finally, what are those two other equations all about???
    i suppose that funny looking thing (like half a pi) is torque, but the rest i have absolutely no idea... sorry.
    i'd be very grateful if you could clarify them a bit.

thanks again.
  5. Apr 13, 2004 #4
    In a circle of radius r the length of any arc is given by the angle it creates with the center of the circle times the radius: [tex]s = \theta r[/tex]

Angular acceleration:
    [tex]\alpha = \frac{a_t}{r}[/tex]

Angular momentum:
    [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]

Torque ('tau'):
    [tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

Precession of Gyroscope:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?