Can a system have the total energy conserved but the hamiltonian not conserved?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a system can have conserved total energy but not a conserved Hamiltonian. It is stated that if the partial of the Lagrangian with respect to time is zero, energy is conserved. The Hamiltonian is found by getting the generalized momentum from the Lagrangian and plugging it into an equation. It is suggested to choose appropriate coordinates to find a system where energy is conserved but the Hamiltonian is not. It is also mentioned that the Hamiltonian is dependent on coordinates, so changing coordinates can affect its conservation.
robb_

Homework Statement

Can a system have the total energy conserved but the hamiltonian not conserved?

Homework Equations

If the partial of the lagrangian w.r.t time is zero, energy is conserved.
The hamiltonian is found by the usual method- get the generalized momentum from the lagrangian then plug each into the equation:let me skip typing it in latex. :yuck: Compare this to the total energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can work the equations and find L and H. It seems, conceptually, that anytime H does not equal the total energy, then energy is not conserved. I wonder if this always is so. Also, I know that H is not equal to E when the generalized coordinates depend on time. I also have worked problems where H does not equal E but H is conserved.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already stated a case where the Hamiltonian is not equal to the energy... Maybe take an example you already know that the energy is conserved, and show in certain coordinate systems, the Hamiltonian may not be.

thanks. yes I have worked the case you stated. i will try to think of such a case where E is conserved but H isnt. i guess you are saying that it is possible none the less. moreover, i am trying to conceptualize the hamiltonian. i was thinking that it is the intrinsic energy associated with the motion, i.e. if part of the motion is provided by an external agent then this is not included in the hamiltonian but it is part of the total energy-> of course i am excluding external agents associated with conservative forces, i.e. potentials. does that make any sense? where is my thinking flawed? thanks

Because you get to choose the coordinates for the Hamiltonian, you can work backwards from there. Start with any system you can think of where the energy is conserved, then try to find some coordinates such that H is not. Figure out the conservation of energy first, in a simple reference frame, then you can arbitrarily change to another (perhaps time dependant) reference frame, where the Hamiltonian isn't conserved. Since conservation of energy doesn't depend on coordinates, you can change coordinates without changing conservation, but the Hamiltonian is dependant on the coordinates, so when you change coordinates, the Hamiltonian may or may not be conserved. All that's left for you is to choose appropriate coordinates.

After you find some syster in which the energy is conserved, just define coords so that [tex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial t} \neq 0 [/tex]

Excellent, so this gets at the heart of my question. So, for a given system the Hamiltonian may or may not be conserved, it depends on the choice of generalized coordinates. right?

1. Can a system have the total energy conserved but the Hamiltonian not conserved?

Yes, it is possible for a system to have a conserved total energy but a non-conserved Hamiltonian. This can occur in cases where the system is not isolated and energy can be exchanged with its surroundings, leading to a conserved total energy but a non-conserved Hamiltonian.

2. What is the difference between total energy and Hamiltonian?

Total energy refers to the sum of all the energies present in a system, including kinetic and potential energies. On the other hand, Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system in terms of its position and momentum coordinates.

3. How is Hamiltonian related to the principle of conservation of energy?

The Hamiltonian is derived from the principle of conservation of energy. It is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a system and is used to describe the time evolution of a system, ensuring that the total energy remains constant.

4. Can a non-conserved Hamiltonian still be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, a non-conserved Hamiltonian can still be used to predict the behavior of a system. However, it may not accurately describe the long-term behavior of the system as it does not take into account energy exchanges with the surroundings.

5. Are there real-life examples of systems with a conserved total energy but a non-conserved Hamiltonian?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of such systems. One example is a pendulum in a viscous fluid, where energy is lost due to friction, but the total energy of the system (kinetic and potential) remains constant. Another example is a satellite orbiting Earth, where energy is exchanged with the Earth's gravitational field, but the total energy of the system is conserved.