1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H atom ionization SFA

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    Hi! I have some trouble with atomic unit. I have a laser pulse with the wavelength of ##800 nm## at the
    peak intensity of ##1.0*10^{14} W/cm^{2}##. I'd like to calculate the corresponding electric field ##E_0##. I use the formula ##I=0.5Cε_0{E_{0}}^2## and ##1 a.u.=5.14*10^{11} V/m## to obtain ##E_0=5.3*10^{-6}##, which is much smaller than the expected value 0.1.
    Another question is about the energy spectra. It is written as ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial E}##. Is the P here means the probability density or the probability?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which units does E0 have and how did you calculate it? V/m is an electric field strength.
    What do you mean with "expected value 0.1"?

Are you sure P is a probability, not a power? If yes, P would have to be a probability and its derivative in E is the density in E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook