Calculating Electric Fields for H Atom Ionization with SFA

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with atomic units and wants to calculate the corresponding electric field for a given laser pulse. They use a formula and a conversion factor to obtain a value much smaller than expected. They also have a question about the energy spectra and whether the P in the formula represents probability density or probability. They are unsure about the units of E0 and the meaning of "expected value 0.1".
ENDLESSYOU
Hi! I have some trouble with atomic unit. I have a laser pulse with the wavelength of ##800 nm## at the
peak intensity of ##1.0*10^{14} W/cm^{2}##. I'd like to calculate the corresponding electric field ##E_0##. I use the formula ##I=0.5Cε_0{E_{0}}^2## and ##1 a.u.=5.14*10^{11} V/m## to obtain ##E_0=5.3*10^{-6}##, which is much smaller than the expected value 0.1.
Another question is about the energy spectra. It is written as ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial E}##. Is the P here means the probability density or the probability?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which units does E0 have and how did you calculate it? V/m is an electric field strength.
What do you mean with "expected value 0.1"?

Are you sure P is a probability, not a power? If yes, P would have to be a probability and its derivative in E is the density in E.

1. How is the electric field for H atom ionization calculated using SFA?

The electric field for H atom ionization using SFA (Strong Field Approximation) is calculated by using the atomic potential and the electric field of the laser pulse. The wave function of the initial and final states of the H atom are also taken into account in the calculation.

2. What is the significance of using SFA for calculating electric fields in H atom ionization?

SFA is a commonly used approximation in quantum mechanics that allows for the calculation of ionization rates in strong laser fields. It simplifies the complex interactions between the atom and the laser field, making it easier to calculate the electric field for H atom ionization.

3. How does the strength of the electric field affect H atom ionization with SFA?

The strength of the electric field is a crucial factor in H atom ionization with SFA. Higher electric field strengths result in higher ionization rates, as the electric field can overcome the binding energy of the electron in the atom more easily.

4. What are the limitations of using SFA for calculating electric fields in H atom ionization?

SFA is an approximation and therefore has its limitations. It does not take into account the effects of the Coulomb potential between the electron and the ionized atom, and it assumes a simple one-electron model. Additionally, SFA is only applicable for strong laser fields and may not accurately predict ionization rates in weak fields.

5. Can SFA be used to calculate electric fields for ionization of other atoms or molecules?

Yes, SFA can be applied to calculate electric fields for ionization of other atoms and molecules. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the strength of the laser field.