Predict which of the solutions below will exert the highest Vapor pressure

In summary, the question is asking which solution will have the highest vapor pressure between O2 in HOH, NH3 in HOH, and CH3OH in HOH. The equations provided show that CH3OH HOH and NH3 HOH exhibit H-bonding, while it is unclear if O2 and HOH exhibit H-bonding. The student also asks for clarification on the concept of H-bonding.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Hi I have a question. Predict which of the solutions below will exert the highest Vapor pressure

O2 in HOH
NH3 in HOH
and CH3OH in HOH

Homework Equations

I drew them out. So I know that CH3OH HOH exhibits h bonding. So does NH3 HOH
I was wondering about O2 and HOH. I think it does. Am I right? I don't care about the actual question right now or if I'm on the right parth with that I just want to know if O2 and HOH have h bonding. Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
##NH_{3}## does not exhibit H- bonding per se.
##NH_{3}+H-OH -->NH_{4}^+ +OH^-##

Why can you explain? I don't understand your reason. NH3 to a lone pair on O2...seems like H bond to me.

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapor in thermodynamic equilibrium with its condensed phases (solid or liquid) at a given temperature in a closed system.

2. Why is it important to predict which solution will exert the highest vapor pressure?

Predicting the vapor pressure of a solution is important for understanding its properties, such as boiling point and volatility. This information can be useful in various industries, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and chemicals.

3. How is vapor pressure related to temperature?

Vapor pressure increases with temperature because as the temperature rises, the molecules of the liquid solution gain more kinetic energy and are able to escape from the surface of the liquid more easily, increasing the pressure of the vapor above it.

4. What factors affect the vapor pressure of a solution?

The vapor pressure of a solution is affected by temperature, the nature of the solute and solvent, and the concentration of the solution. Generally, as temperature and concentration increase, so does vapor pressure.

5. How can we predict which solution will exert the highest vapor pressure?

The solution with the lowest boiling point and the highest concentration of solute will typically have the highest vapor pressure. Additionally, solutions with volatile solvents and low molecular weight solutes tend to have higher vapor pressures.