What are some options for H-bridge ICs to power 12V 3.6A loads?

• Thread starter EagleOnePro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the conversation was about the search for an H-bridge IC to power a 12V 3.6A load. The person asking has researched and is looking for input on different options, including the L6203 and L298N, as well as the ZIP package offered by Digikey. The expert also suggests using a heatsink and mentions that as power levels increase, the MOSFET and Drivers may become separate.
EagleOnePro
Hi, I am in the market for an H-bridge IC to power 12V 3.6A through. This is the circuit.
http://fritzing.org/projects/drive-motor-using-l293d-sn754410
Do you know where I could get an H-bridge like the one in the diagram? so I can power a bigger load and use 12V 3.6A. I seriously Googled this like a mad man and I'd like your input.
Even If you tell me to scrap the idea and try a beater method. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Other than a high power motor shield - try L6203 - be sure to use a heatsink. The chip in your example is an H bridge with driver - as you move up in power the MOSFET and Drivers may become separate - but there should be others similar to the L6203 in this power level.
http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM142/CL851/SC1790

Also Sparkfun has some forum posts on similar items - L298N for example.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Try the motor drivers offered by Digikey. You can narrow it down with the filters. I found one that can do what you want but it comes in a ZIP package. That's a 1.27 mm picth which will be hard to get into a breadboard because you'll have to twist the pins a little. There are many more options but I couldn't find a DIP package that is in stock.

Likes 1 person

What is an H-bridge?

An H-bridge is an electronic circuit that is commonly used to control the direction and speed of a motor. It consists of four switches that are arranged in an "H" shape, hence the name. By turning the switches on and off in a specific sequence, the direction and speed of the motor can be controlled.

Why is selecting the right H-bridge important?

Selecting the right H-bridge is important because it determines the performance and efficiency of your motor control system. Different H-bridges have different specifications and capabilities, so choosing the right one for your specific application is crucial.

What factors should be considered when selecting an H-bridge?

Some important factors to consider when selecting an H-bridge include the voltage and current ratings, switching speed, thermal capabilities, and protection features. It is also important to consider the type of motor you are using and the specific requirements of your application.

What are some common problems with H-bridge selection?

Some common problems with H-bridge selection include choosing an H-bridge with insufficient voltage or current ratings, not considering the switching speed or thermal capabilities, and not taking into account the specific requirements of the motor and application. These can lead to issues such as overheating, damage to the motor, and poor performance.

How can I ensure I select the right H-bridge for my application?

To ensure you select the right H-bridge for your application, it is important to carefully evaluate the specifications and capabilities of different H-bridges, and choose one that best meets the requirements of your motor and application. Consulting with an expert or doing thorough research can also help in making an informed decision.