Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H+ concentration gradient Photosynthesis

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    FOr the light dependent reaction, In the textbook it says that the H+ concentration gradient across the thylakoid membrane is maintained by:

1) photolysis
    2) transport of electrons from photosystem II along carriers
    3) formation of NADPH.

I can understand 1) and 3), but I have no idea how transport of e- would maintain a hydrogen ion concentration gradient. Can someone help please?

THanks.

Gary

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does this statement help:

The cytochrome b6/f complex acts to pump H+ across the thylakoid during electron transport

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    so this is exactly the same as cyclic phosphorylation then? energy from e- is used to pump H+ across thylakoid membrane?

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    but it seems silly for plants to have evolved such mechanisms.
    Why pump the hydrogen into the lumen, and when they diffuse out along the electrochemical gradient the energy is used to synthesise ATP. Why go through this process, why can't the energy just be used to synthesise ATP in the first place?

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  7. Mar 17, 2005 #6
    why go through H+? why can't the energy from the electrons be directly used to synthesise ATP?

8. Mar 24, 2005 #7
    There is no mechanism to do it directly. ATP synthase is powered by the proton gradient. The only way to make ATP is to use the enzyme ATP synthase, because of the structure of the ATP. Energy has to be transferred from photons to electrons to the H+ gradient, then to ATP.

9. Mar 25, 2005 #8
    oh now i get it. It is because of the structure of the enzyme which needs a H+ gradient.

Many thanks to all of you.

Gary

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?