How do I determine the direction of M and H in a homogeneous cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and magnitude of the H-field in relation to Ampére's law and a cylinder with zero free, enclosed current. The possibility of a constant field of H is also mentioned, along with the role of context and medium. The conversation also touches on finding the magnetization M and its relation to current and the direction of the H-field.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I'm trying to understand the H-field. From Ampére's law we have:

[tex]\oint {{\bf{H}} \cdot {\rm{d}}{\bf{l}}} = I_{free,enclosed}[/tex]

If I look at an object with zero free, enclosed current, the integral equals zero. The integral can be equal to zero even if H is not zero. But if the integral equals zero and if H is constant and parallel to dl, I can take it outside the integral, and hence H=0.

My question is: How do I know if H is in the same direction as dl and constant in magnitude?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on the context. What kind of situations can you think of that would have a constant field of H? Generally, they will be infinite (or limits/approximations), right? Whether or not it is in the direction of your infinitesimal line element will depend on how you choose your amperian loop. Also, what kind of medium you are in could come into play if you are talking about H.

What about the magnitization M?

If we look at a cylinder, where a current I runs in the axis of the cylinder (z-axis), we can find B by the right-hand rule. Is there any way to find M?

Well yes, depending on what information you know about the current you could find the magnetization.

You know that in general that
[tex]\mathbf{J_b}=\nabla \times \mathbf{M}[/tex]

where you could use stoke's theorem to get the magnetization. There are a bunch of other relations you could potentially use. Again, it will depend on context.

I hope it's OK if we take an example. Let's say, for instance, that the magnetization of a cylinder is homogeneous so there are no bound volume currents. I am told that

[tex]\textbf K_b=K\hat{\phi}[/tex]

In this example, the direction of B is along the axis of the cylinder (right-hand rule). How would I be able to find the direction of M, and thereby H?

I know that K and M are perpendicular to each other (cross-product), but this means that M can either be in the phi-direction or z-direction?

1. What is the H-field?

The H-field, also known as the magnetic field intensity, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is measured in units of amperes per meter (A/m).

2. How is the H-field related to Ampére's law?

Ampére's law states that the circulation of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through that loop. The H-field is used to calculate the magnetic field in Ampére's law, as it represents the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point.

3. Does the H-field obey the superposition principle?

Yes, the H-field obeys the superposition principle, which means that the total H-field at any point is the vector sum of the individual H-fields produced by each current-carrying conductor or permanent magnet.

4. Can Ampére's law be used for any type of current?

Ampére's law can be used for any type of steady or direct current, as long as the current is constant and does not change over time. It cannot be used for time-varying or alternating currents.

5. How is the H-field different from the B-field?

The H-field and B-field are related to each other, but they represent different aspects of the magnetic field. The H-field represents the magnetic field strength, while the B-field represents the magnetic flux density. The B-field also takes into account the permeability of the material, while the H-field does not.