H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge

In summary, the H-Field, or magnetic field strength, is a measure of the magnetic intensity in a given region. In the context of magnetic susceptibility, it refers to the strength of the magnetic field in a region affected by the presence of a material with magnetic properties. An infinite line charge can alter the strength and direction of the H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility, depending on various factors such as the material's properties, distance from the charge, and orientation. The H-Field in such a region can be calculated using the equation H=I/2πr, where H is the magnetic field strength, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire. The study of the H-
FrancisD

Homework Statement

Pollack, Stump - Electromagnetism. Prob. 9.23

A long straight wire carrying current 1 is parallel to the z axis and passes through
the point (a, 0, 0) . The region x > 0 is vacuum, and the region x < 0 is a material
with magnetic susceptibility Xm .
Show that the H-field in the region x < 0 is the same as H that would be produced
by a current 211(2 + Xm) in the wire with the material everywhere; and the H-field
in the region x > 0 is the same as H that would be produced by the combination of
the current 1 in the wire and a current Xm 1 I (2 + Xm) along the line parallel to the z
axis through (-a, 0, 0), with vacuum everywhere. (Hint: Appeal to the uniqueness
theorem. What are the boundary conditions?)

Homework Equations

H = B/μ0 - M

M = χH

∫H dl = I (free, enclosed)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so my first thought was to find the H-field in both regions using ampere's law, but won't I have to find the magnetization to be able to find it in the region with the magnetic susceptibility? What is tripping me up is figuring out to solve it with 2 separate regions. Any initial help to get me started would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!
Thank you for your post regarding Pollack and Stump's Electromagnetism problem 9.23. I am happy to assist you in finding a solution to this problem.

To begin, let us first consider the region x < 0, which is the material with magnetic susceptibility Xm. We can use the uniqueness theorem to show that the H-field in this region is the same as the H-field produced by a current 211(2 + Xm) in the wire with the material everywhere. This is because the boundary conditions for the H-field at the interface between the vacuum and the material are the same in both cases.

Next, let us consider the region x > 0, which is the vacuum. The H-field in this region is the same as the H-field produced by the combination of the current 1 in the wire and a current Xm 1 I (2 + Xm) along the line parallel to the z axis through (-a, 0, 0), with vacuum everywhere. This is also due to the uniqueness theorem, as the boundary conditions at the interface between the vacuum and the material are satisfied by this combination of currents.

To solve this problem, you can use the equations H = B/μ0 - M and M = χH, along with Ampere's law ∫H dl = I (free, enclosed). Using these equations and applying the uniqueness theorem, you should be able to show that the H-field in both regions is the same as described in the problem statement.

I hope this helps you in solving this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional clarification.

1. What is an H-Field in relation to magnetic susceptibility?

The H-Field, also known as the magnetic field strength, is a measure of the magnetic intensity in a given region. In the context of magnetic susceptibility, it refers to the strength of the magnetic field in a region affected by the presence of a material with magnetic properties.

2. How does an infinite line charge affect the H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility?

An infinite line charge, also known as an infinite current-carrying wire, produces a magnetic field in its surrounding region. In a region with magnetic susceptibility, the presence of this infinite line charge can alter the strength and direction of the H-Field, depending on the magnetic properties of the material in the region.

3. What factors affect the H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge?

The strength and direction of the H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility are affected by several factors, including the magnetic properties of the material, the distance from the infinite line charge, and the orientation of the material in relation to the charge.

4. How is the H-Field calculated in a region with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge?

The H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge can be calculated using the equation H=I/2πr, where H is the magnetic field strength, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the H-Field in regions with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge?

Understanding the H-Field in regions with magnetic susceptibility is crucial in various fields, including electrical engineering, material science, and geophysics. It is used in the design of electronic devices, magnetic sensors, and in studying the magnetic properties of materials. It also plays a significant role in geophysical exploration and in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in Earth's crust.