1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H-Field in a region with magnetic susceptibility from an infinite line charge

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Pollack, Stump - Electromagnetism. Prob. 9.23

A long straight wire carrying current 1 is parallel to the z axis and passes through
    the point (a, 0, 0) . The region x > 0 is vacuum, and the region x < 0 is a material
    with magnetic susceptibility Xm .
    Show that the H-field in the region x < 0 is the same as H that would be produced
    by a current 211(2 + Xm) in the wire with the material everywhere; and the H-field
    in the region x > 0 is the same as H that would be produced by the combination of
    the current 1 in the wire and a current Xm 1 I (2 + Xm) along the line parallel to the z
    axis through (-a, 0, 0), with vacuum everywhere. (Hint: Appeal to the uniqueness
    theorem. What are the boundary conditions?)

2. Relevant equations

H = B/μ0 - M

M = χH

∫H dl = I (free, enclosed)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so my first thought was to find the H-field in both regions using ampere's law, but won't I have to find the magnetization to be able to find it in the region with the magnetic susceptibility? What is tripping me up is figuring out to solve it with 2 separate regions. Any initial help to get me started would be great. Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted