1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H-NMR splitting

1. Dec 20, 2003 #1
    Hello.
    I remember a problem I had with drawing a splitting tree for nitrotoluene. The coupling constants varied, you know, para, meta, ortho, they were all different. My teacher told us to assume certain values for each. What I don't understand is how a proton in nitrotoluene (or even toluene, whatever) is split by these substituents that are so far away. I read that protons can only be split by a neighbouring carbon, or, (if there's a double bond) the neighbouring carbon's neighbour, mr. carbon 3! (mr. carbon 1 is the carbon whose proton is being split). I hope you're not too confused. And so what's the point of having a coupling constant for something that's ortho, something that's more than 3 bonds away (2 sigma bonds for pi and a sigma bond)? There's something obviously wrong with the way I'm looking at this, someone PLEASE enlighten me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2003 #2
    You can have coupling occur at a distance of 4 or five bonds. In an aliphatic system the coupling constant further than 3 bonds (>J3) is often small and unless you're using a very powerful NMR they won't be seen. In unsaturated systems, however, the coupling constant is greater and can easily be seen on most modern NMRs.

4. Dec 23, 2003 #3
    Thanks, that was helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?