1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H-W Question

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    I really do not understand this question...what kind of formula can I use, because there is no displacement/distance? any help? What do I do since there is only one variable? thanks in advance.

QUESTION: A shopper can ride up a moving escalator in 15 s. When the escalator is turned off, the shopper can walk up the stationary escalator in 8 s. a) How long would it take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator? b) Could the shopper walk down the moving escalator to the floor below? if so how long would it take?
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The speed of the escalator is +L/15 m/sec where L is the length in metres. Her speed relative to the escaltor is + or - L/8 (m/sec). Her speed relative to the ground is _____? The distance is L. So how long does that take?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?