1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H1 NMR Explanation

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    Hi everybody,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working on the spectra from the following link:
    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/webspectra.cgi?Problem=bp2

2. Relevant factors and first attempt

For the most part, I understand how the spectra available contribute to the answer, but the left (upfield) side of the proton NMR is proving confusing. I see how the methyl group around 4ppm and the lone aldehyde hydrogen around 10.5 ppm produce their respective patterns, but the remaining 4 hydrogens on the left side of the benzene ring mystify me. To be more specific in my confusion:

3. The confusion

1. Why does the 7.0 ppm shift have a multiplicity of two? Given that each hydrogen is a different distance from the either and aldehyde, shouldn't each hydrogen have a different peak?

2. What could account for the two-multiplicty 4-peak split between 6.9-7.0 ppm? Since this is a benzene ring, each hydrogen should be adjacent to a maximum of two hydrogens, no? One on each carbon on each side of the bond?

I understand the other two shifts within the 7-8 ppm range, but not how they might fit in with the one above. What am I not seeing?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?