Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H20 or H2Much?

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    I had a thought last night as I was finishing my second litre of water. Is it possible to drink too much water? :rolleyes:

Now we all know that everyone should get at least two litres of water a day. Now whether every one actually gets that is a different story. :wink: Some people like their water flavored or bottled or just don't mind drinking the water out of the tap.

But is it possible for you to drink too much water? How much is too much?

Just some food for thought. Let me know what you think. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

check out this recent news story...
    http://www.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,135%7E25088%7E2719634,00.html

Hyponatremia - drinking large amounts of water and sweating heavily can reduce electrolyte levels in your bloodstream to dangerous levels.

Just wanted to mention that the "8-glasses of water a day" thing is likely an urban legend. Info here...http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4
    Phobos, I read through your link. Thats some pretty good information there.

Curious, is my drinking two and a half litres (because that how much I had over the course of the day), a bad thing?

How do you replenish your electrolites?

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I was just about the mention that. It happened only about 100 miles or so from here and caused a huge stir among the Greek community. Apparently, the fraternity in question had no official sanction from whatever national board that recognizes Greek organizations. It is also curious that they used the water hazing technique in an apparent effort to distance themselves from the tradition of alcohol binging, figuring this would be healthier.

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6
    eat bananas..and a slup of gatoraid...theres also a whole host of stuff you can buy at the vitimen store.

8. Mar 11, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's actually best, as hypatia intimates, to get most of your water directly from your food, by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. This is the way the humanoid line evolved after moving out of the rainforest. Even back in the rainforest, chimpanzees and bonobos get most of their water from fruit, supplemented by wringing wet leaves. The only major source of standing water in most ranges is the Zaire river, which isn't the safest source (both predation and infection are concerns).

9. Mar 12, 2005 #8
    I wouldn't think that it would be. So basically, eat fruits and other foods and you can get water and electrolites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?