Can You Drink Too Much Water? Investigating the Possibility

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, it is possible to drink too much water, but not likely. This can lead to a condition called hyponatremia, where electrolyte levels in the bloodstream become dangerously low. A recent news story highlighted the dangers of water hazing in fraternity pledge activities. It is best to get water from food sources, such as fruits and vegetables, rather than solely from drinking water.
misskitty
I had a thought last night as I was finishing my second litre of water. Is it possible to drink too much water? :rolleyes:

Now we all know that everyone should get at least two litres of water a day. Now whether every one actually gets that is a different story. :wink: Some people like their water flavored or bottled or just don't mind drinking the water out of the tap.

But is it possible for you to drink too much water? How much is too much?

Just some food for thought. Let me know what you think. :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
You can, but it is not likely to drink too much water. The condition is called water intoxication or hyponatremia, basically what happens is that electrolytes leach out of your body upsetting your nervous system.

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
check out this recent news story...
http://www.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,135%257E25088%257E2719634,00.html

A Chico State University student died Wednesday morning following what police have termed "fraternity pledge activities." ...

Authorities are looking into reports that he and other pledges may have been forced to drink large quantities of water and exercise heavily, inducing a sometimes deadly condition called hyponatremia...

...alcohol didn't appear to be involved in the activities.

Hyponatremia - drinking large amounts of water and sweating heavily can reduce electrolyte levels in your bloodstream to dangerous levels.

Now we all know that everyone should get at least two litres of water a day.

Just wanted to mention that the "8-glasses of water a day" thing is likely an urban legend. Info here...http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm

Phobos, I read through your link. Thats some pretty good information there.

Curious, is my drinking two and a half litres (because that how much I had over the course of the day), a bad thing?

How do you replenish your electrolites?

Phobos said:
check out this recent news story...
http://www.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,135%257E25088%257E2719634,00.html

I was just about the mention that. It happened only about 100 miles or so from here and caused a huge stir among the Greek community. Apparently, the fraternity in question had no official sanction from whatever national board that recognizes Greek organizations. It is also curious that they used the water hazing technique in an apparent effort to distance themselves from the tradition of alcohol binging, figuring this would be healthier.

eat bananas..and a slup of gatoraid...theres also a whole host of stuff you can buy at the vitimen store.

It's actually best, as hypatia intimates, to get most of your water directly from your food, by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. This is the way the humanoid line evolved after moving out of the rainforest. Even back in the rainforest, chimpanzees and bonobos get most of their water from fruit, supplemented by wringing wet leaves. The only major source of standing water in most ranges is the Zaire river, which isn't the safest source (both predation and infection are concerns).

I wouldn't think that it would be. So basically, eat fruits and other foods and you can get water and electrolites.

1. Can drinking too much water be harmful?

Yes, drinking excessive amounts of water can lead to a condition called water intoxication or hyponatremia. This occurs when the body's sodium levels become dangerously low, causing symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and in severe cases, seizures or coma.

2. How much water is considered too much?

The amount of water that is considered too much varies depending on factors such as age, weight, and physical activity level. Generally, drinking more than one liter of water per hour can be dangerous.

3. What are the signs of water intoxication?

Symptoms of water intoxication include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, dizziness, and in severe cases, seizures or coma. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience these symptoms after drinking excessive amounts of water.

4. Can exercise increase the risk of water intoxication?

Yes, engaging in intense physical activity can increase the risk of water intoxication. This is because sweating causes the body to lose electrolytes, including sodium, which can lead to imbalances if not replenished.

5. Is it possible to die from drinking too much water?

Yes, in extreme cases, water intoxication can lead to death. This is why it is important to drink water in moderation and listen to your body's thirst cues.