HAARP Memoirs and Such (Part 1 of a few)

• Thread starter KL7AJ
  • Start date
In summary, HAARP will be shut down unless there is a "stay of execution." All the diagnostic instrumentation has already been re-deployed elsewhere; the fate of the actual heater transmitters is to be determined.
KL7AJ
It is with deep regret that we note the passing of HAARP a little over a year ago. Unless there is a "stay of execution" the HAARP facility in Gakona, Alaska will go under the wrecking ball. All the diagnostic instrumentation has already been re-deployed elsewhere; the fate of the actual heater transmitters is to be determined.

I was priviledged to have been involved in various capacities at both HAARP and at Hipas Observatory (the predecessor to HAARP) over a period of some twenty-five years. While both facilities had similarities, there were also some profound differences, as well. We actually did more different things at HIPAS than HAARP; we had a little more freedom to take side-trips from the main mission than HAARP did. But still, we did some very cool things at both sites.

I was "drafted" by Dr. Alfred Y. Wong, professor at the UCLA plasma lab to help construct HIPAS Observatory in the late 1980s. My only qualification was that I'd worked with high powered broadcast transmitters for over a decade at the time, and I was the only guy in Alaska who'd ever seen a vapor-phase cooled transmitter before. And the fact that I lived in Fairbanks, so I wasn't about to "bail out." Most of us involved actually volunteered to put HIPAS together; though a couple of staff members were sent up from UCLA on a part-time basis. But we knew we were on the verge of something unique and special.

HIPAS's transmitters were originally built in the mid 1960s, in Platteville, Colorado, one of the first sites to explore the Luxembourg Effect. That site had been decommissioned in the mid 70s I believe, and the eight 125,000 watt H.F. transmitters had been in storage at UCLA for most of the interim. Dr. Wong desired to continue where Platteville had left off, but in a much more desirable location...right under the Auroral oval, where the Earth's magnetic field lines were concentrated, and nearaly vertical, right through Fairbanks, Alaska.

I knew a lot about radio propagation, working with military H.F. radio systems, some shortwave broadcasting, and had been a radio amateur for a long time before this. But I knew nothing about the weird non-linear stuff that happens in the ionosphere...IF you have enough power. And this is what HIPAS had in abundance: one megawatt of raw R.F. power, and 17 dB of antenna gain...a total ERP of just under 100 million watts...aimed straight up.

The original antenna field for HIPAS looked like Stonehenge. It had eight crossed dipoles, seven around a circle and one in the middle, each mounted on a 40 foot Rohn tower. The circle was around 800 feet in diameter. Nine-inch coaxial hard-line transmission lines ran from the transmitter building across the field to the towers. From the air, it really looked like something alien...yet inviting.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack...gh_Power_Auroral_Stimulation_Observatory.html

This link shows some of the few remaining photos of HIPAS. As we will explain later, we did a lot more than ionospheric heating...we had a world class LIDAR facility with a one of a kind liquid mirror...the largest ever built before or since. We also had an inductively coupled plasma device where we created the highest man-made temperature on Earth, outside of a nuclear detonation.

Stay tuned!

Likes 2 people
Physics news on Phys.org
cool
thanks for your post Eric

I didn't even know about HIPAS

de
VK2TDN
Dave

How did you enjoy conspiracy people harping on HAARP all those years?

This one is very cool. Can you share any specifics?

pulsed_dipole_003.JPG

I am saddened by the news of HAARP's passing. It was a unique facility that contributed greatly to our understanding of the ionosphere and its effects on radio propagation. I had the privilege of working at both HAARP and its predecessor, HIPAS Observatory, and can attest to the groundbreaking research that was conducted at these sites.

While HIPAS had a similar purpose to HAARP, it also had some distinct differences and allowed for more flexibility in research. I was personally involved in the construction of HIPAS and was amazed by the amount of power and antenna gain we had at our disposal. It was truly a one-of-a-kind facility.

One aspect that is often overlooked is the other research that was conducted at HIPAS. In addition to ionospheric heating, we also had a LIDAR facility and an inductively coupled plasma device. These allowed us to study a wide range of phenomena and push the boundaries of scientific understanding.

It is unfortunate that HAARP will be demolished, and the fate of its transmitters is still unknown. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of such groundbreaking research and I hope that similar facilities will continue to be developed in the future. The knowledge gained from HAARP and HIPAS will continue to impact our understanding of the ionosphere and its effects on communication and navigation systems.

1. What is HAARP?

HAARP stands for High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program. It is a research facility located in Alaska that studies the upper atmosphere and ionosphere using high-frequency radio waves.

2. What is the purpose of HAARP?

The purpose of HAARP is to study the ionosphere and its effects on communication and navigation systems. It also aims to understand the impact of solar activity on the Earth's atmosphere.

3. How does HAARP work?

HAARP works by transmitting high-frequency radio waves into the ionosphere. These waves stimulate the ionosphere, causing it to emit radio waves that can be studied by scientists. HAARP also uses an array of antennas to focus the radio waves and steer them in specific directions.

4. Is HAARP capable of controlling the weather or causing natural disasters?

No, HAARP is not capable of controlling the weather or causing natural disasters. Its purpose is purely for scientific research and has no influence on the Earth's weather patterns or natural events.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with HAARP?

There is no evidence to suggest that HAARP poses any significant risks or dangers to the environment or human health. The radio waves used by HAARP are carefully controlled and monitored to prevent any harmful effects.