Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Habitat Question

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Hey guys and gals,
    Just wondering if you could tell me wether or not their are any environments that give exothermic animals an advantage over endothermic ones. I was thinking that one with a relatively constant annual temperature (ie-desert, underwater) might suit this type of animal well. I dont see how this would be an advantage over enothermic animals however. If their is such an environment, what makes it more beneficial to exotherms over endotherms.
    Thanks alot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    The main problem with being an endotherm, as I understand it, is that we don't handle heat as well (I think we generate heat internally so in a warmer environment would be hotter than otherwise.) I would expect that warmer temperatures in general are tolerated better by exotherms.

It's not really my area though.
  4. Oct 20, 2005 #3
    Consider a perennial flowing cold water spring environment--how many "endothermic" species do we find in relation to "exothermic" -- the answer is very few. The "exothermic" vertebrates adapted to cold water springs (e.g., fish, amphibians, reptiles) gain a significant thermal regulatory advantange over "endotherms" that must maintain on a daily basis a relatively higher body temperature than provided by the water environment. So, if you want to study an ecosystem where exotherms rule, study cold water springs.
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4
    I may have had my terms backwards.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?