Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hacking my email

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

For sure i would not accuse any one at PFs for hacking my email, but it seems some has, i have had to close two email accounts because of hate mail, may be i deserve it, i am a bit non main stream, and some times a bit nasty, but some times the hate mail goes to far, and it may be my own fault for not having the propper firewalls installed, but i am not internet savy, so i am sorry for not being a good guy, but will the hackers please leave me alone.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Hakers

Are these emails coming from PF, or from another source? Do they mention anything to do with PF in them? If so, then let us know (privately) the members that are sending such emails and they will be dealt with. Also, note that you can uncheck the "allow people to send me email" button to stop members from being able to access your email.

If, however, these are not PF-specific, then I suspect they are the usual spam that everyone receives, and you will need to put measures in place on your email account.

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Hackers

I've never received hate mail spam. I am very sorry to hear you are receiving hate mail wolram. I seriously hope they are not PF members.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wollie, what makes you think it is someone from PF? Are the mails coming from an anonymous mailer or can you read the IP address of the sender?

6. Feb 14, 2009 #5

NO Wolly, you in no way deserve it. Who ever is sending them to you, must not know you very well.

7. Feb 14, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I want to stress to all members that ANY unwanted contact should be reported. It does not have to be malicious. If any contact makes you uncomfortable, or you feel it's spam, please notify a mentor. If they are contacting you, they may be contacting others. Please let us know.

8. Feb 14, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wolram,
    You have you email acount active in your user profile. This allows anyone to send an email.

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Wasn't me, Woolie. I'd razz you for being old, and English, and perhaps a couple of other things... but I could never hate you. :wink:

10. Feb 15, 2009 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Thank you every one, the messages all come from people with a Yahoo address, and mention specific posts on PFs, any way i have now turned my Email off in my PF and blocked Yahoo mail.
    I will wait and see if that works, bye for a while.

11. Feb 16, 2009 #10

~christina~

Gold Member

That is awful. I can't believe people would do that sort of thing, but it's the type of world where we live in, of course.

That should work, unless the same people decide to send you more hateful things. (they already have your email address)

12. Feb 16, 2009 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Thus speaks a man who has carry a suitcase for all his eye glasses and ear trumpet :smile:

13. Feb 16, 2009 #12

My solution:

Use two email accounts (or three)
    - 1 for internet (forums etc.. there are lots of places that ask for email and then send loads of spam. I either end up using temporary email box or my internet email. I hardly check the inbox maybe once a month)
    -2 for personal use (only friends/ppl. who know you)
    -3 for work

14. Feb 17, 2009 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Why would a group of people bother to go to the trouble of composing malicious mail?

I can not even imagine what pleasure they would get out of it, initially it does cause some hurt and inconvenience, but these people must know only the first few posts will be read
    and one will quickly get over it.

I guess one would have to group these people with the mindless knuckle dragging vandal,
    or the spoiled brat who has never learnt right from wrong.

Any way it is best if these guys keep spending their time filling my dead email address, it will keep them from stealing candy.

15. Feb 17, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

That's right... always consider the source. Cruel words from a moron are like farts in a tornado; you have more important things to think about.
    And I'll have you know, Grandpa, that my hearing is perfect... unless it's my wife talking. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook