Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hacking of a different sort

1. May 16, 2015 #1

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is like the iPhone hacking device. It tries a combo and if it fails immediately shuts off the phone and repeats the process. Shutting the phone down prevents it from locking out the hack after a limited number of tries.

The attack is effective on the four digit passcode not the full password option which most people don't use.

So basically your iPhone isn't safe and locked in your locker it's not safe either.

4. May 16, 2015 #3

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The combination disc trick is as old as Moses for cracking locks. I usually have a master key just to save time with those types of locks.
    5755_1280114257.jpg

Locksmithing was an approved school for the GI bill. :wink:

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    No finesse whatever. Feynman picked locks with finesse.

6. May 16, 2015 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

There's a time to finesse and there's a time to get the job done quickly. Most locks and safes are mainly for show. We had a GSA approved safe for some very sensitive material. The thing had a big hole in the side covered up with a magnetic clip-board to hide where we drilled it when one of the officers lost the combo, after the inspection we ordered a new safe.

7. May 16, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

How Feynman did it:

8. May 17, 2015 #7
    Great story! Make sure to include that in your autobiography, "Surely You're Joking, Mr nsaspook!"

9. May 17, 2015 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

There was never any loss of security to the most sensitive material, the safe inside the safe (the material inside was under two man control) was still good and I knew the combo for that one. The stuff under the first lock was just regular TS (SIOP-ESI).
    Antique%20safe%20inside%20a%20safe%206.jpe

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  10. May 17, 2015 #9
    Oh I see! A double layer of protection. I didn't know they made safes like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook