Double the Protection: 3-D Printed Robot Cracks Combination Locks in 30 Seconds

In summary: Thanks for the clarification.Oh I see! A double layer of protection. I didn't know they made safes like that.
SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Likes billy_joule
Physics news on Phys.org
This is like the iPhone hacking device. It tries a combo and if it fails immediately shuts off the phone and repeats the process. Shutting the phone down prevents it from locking out the hack after a limited number of tries.

The attack is effective on the four digit passcode not the full password option which most people don't use.

So basically your iPhone isn't safe and locked in your locker it's not safe either.

The combination disc trick is as old as Moses for cracking locks. I usually have a master key just to save time with those types of locks.
5755_1280114257.jpg

Locksmithing was an approved school for the GI bill. :wink:

nsaspook said:
The combination disc trick is as old as Moses for cracking locks. I usually have a master key just to save time with those types of locks.
5755_1280114257.jpg

Locksmithing was an approved school for the GI bill. :wink:
No finesse whatever. Feynman picked locks with finesse.

zoobyshoe said:
No finesse whatever. Feynman picked locks with finesse.

There's a time to finesse and there's a time to get the job done quickly. Most locks and safes are mainly for show. We had a GSA approved safe for some very sensitive material. The thing had a big hole in the side covered up with a magnetic clip-board to hide where we drilled it when one of the officers lost the combo, after the inspection we ordered a new safe.

nsaspook said:
There's a time to finesse and there's a time to get the job done quickly. Most locks and safes are mainly for show. We had a GSA approved safe for some very sensitive material. The thing had a big hole in the side covered up with a magnetic clip-board to hide where we drilled it when one of the officers lost the combo, after the inspection we ordered a new safe.
Great story! Make sure to include that in your autobiography, "Surely You're Joking, Mr nsaspook!"

zoobyshoe said:
Great story! Make sure to include that in your autobiography, "Surely You're Joking, Mr nsaspook!"

There was never any loss of security to the most sensitive material, the safe inside the safe (the material inside was under two man control) was still good and I knew the combo for that one. The stuff under the first lock was just regular TS (SIOP-ESI).
Antique%20safe%20inside%20a%20safe%206.jpe

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
There was never any loss of security to the most sensitive material, the safe inside the safe (the material inside was under two man control) was still good and I knew the combo for that one. The stuff under the first lock was just regular TS (SIOP-ESI).
Antique%20safe%20inside%20a%20safe%206.jpe
Oh I see! A double layer of protection. I didn't know they made safes like that.

What is "Hacking of a different sort"?

"Hacking of a different sort" refers to the act of using non-traditional or unconventional methods to manipulate or gain access to a system or technology.

What are examples of "Hacking of a different sort"?

Examples of "Hacking of a different sort" include social engineering, physical hacking, and ethical hacking. Social engineering involves manipulating people to gain access to sensitive information, while physical hacking involves physically accessing a system or technology to bypass security measures. Ethical hacking is the act of finding vulnerabilities in a system in order to improve its security.

How is "Hacking of a different sort" different from traditional hacking?

"Hacking of a different sort" differs from traditional hacking in that it often involves manipulating people or physical systems rather than solely relying on computer code and technology. Traditional hacking is also typically associated with malicious intent, while "Hacking of a different sort" can also be used for ethical purposes.

Why is it important to understand "Hacking of a different sort"?

Understanding "Hacking of a different sort" is important for individuals and organizations alike in order to protect against potential vulnerabilities and attacks. By understanding the various methods of hacking, individuals and organizations can better protect their systems and data.

What steps can be taken to prevent "Hacking of a different sort"?

To prevent "Hacking of a different sort", individuals and organizations can implement security measures such as strong passwords, multi-factor authentication, and regular software updates. Training and awareness programs can also help individuals recognize and prevent social engineering attacks.

Back