Open University UK Physics Exam - Results in December

• Testing
  • Thread starter jf22901
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the speaker is a student studying with the Open University in the UK and took their physics exam yesterday. They are confident in passing but hoped for a higher grade. They found it amusing that the exam asked about the first law of thermodynamics instead of the four versions of the second law they studied. They will have to wait until December for their results and may start preparing for next year's course. They also mention wishing good luck to others taking exams around the same time.
jf22901
Hi all

I am studying with the Open University in the UK, and had my physics exam yesterday. I'm sure I've passed, but probably only with around 70%. I was hoping to get in the 85% and above category for a distinction.

Isn't it funny how you can spend hours learning the four different versions of the second law of thermodynamics, and they ask you a question about the first!

Ah well, nothing to do now but wait till December for my results! (Well, I guess I could start a bit of reading for next year's course!)

I'm not sure if you guys elsewhere in the world have exams around now, but good luck to all if you do!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Had tests in school today and yesterday: AP USH and AP Calc.

Congratulations on completing your physics exam with the Open University in the UK! It's always a great feeling to finish a challenging exam, and I'm sure you did your best. Even if you didn't achieve the grade you were hoping for, remember that success is not always measured by numbers. What's important is that you put in the effort and gained knowledge and understanding of the subject.

As for the question about the first law of thermodynamics, it's always a good reminder that exams can cover a range of topics and it's important to have a solid understanding of all concepts. But don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to continue learning and improving your understanding in future courses.

I wish you all the best for your results in December and encourage you to continue your studies and keep expanding your knowledge in the field of physics. And for those of you who have exams around this time, good luck and remember to stay focused and keep a positive mindset.

1. What is the format of the Open University UK Physics Exam?

The Open University UK Physics Exam is a written exam consisting of multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and longer essay-style questions. The exam is typically 2-3 hours long and is taken on a designated date in December.

2. How are the results for the Open University UK Physics Exam calculated?

The results for the Open University UK Physics Exam are based on a combination of the marks obtained in each section of the exam. Each question is assigned a certain number of marks and these marks are added up to give a total score. The final grade is then determined by comparing the total score to predetermined grade boundaries set by the exam board.

3. Can I appeal my results for the Open University UK Physics Exam?

Yes, it is possible to appeal your results for the Open University UK Physics Exam if you believe there was an error in marking or if there were extenuating circumstances that affected your performance. You must submit an appeal within a specified time frame and provide evidence to support your claim.

4. When can I expect to receive my results for the Open University UK Physics Exam?

The results for the Open University UK Physics Exam are typically released in December, shortly after the exam date. However, the exact date may vary slightly each year. You will be notified via email when your results are available and you can also check your results on the Open University website.

5. What happens if I fail the Open University UK Physics Exam?

If you fail the Open University UK Physics Exam, you will have the option to retake the exam in the following year. You may also have the opportunity to resit specific sections of the exam if you only failed certain parts. It is important to review your exam feedback and prepare more thoroughly for the retake to improve your chances of passing.