Hadron Collider Model

1. Hi guys,

I have the idea of putting together a model collider that fires two smashable objects (eggs or whatever) at each other and show a high speed camera footage of the objects hitting each other - this is all as an analogy of what the hadron collider does at CERN.

Any ideas what I could use to accelerate the objects?

Any alternatives to eggs that I could use?

I've a mind to buy a couple of spring loaded projectile launchers, fit some clear plastic piping to a fish tank or some-such in the middle and fire them simultaneously at each other.

This is aimed at high school students,

your thoughts please...

2. jcsd
  3. Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Chegg
    A very simple setup would be a set of model train-tracks with two carts carrying something you want to collide. You can just push them towards each other until splat!

I do think you had a decent idea of piping with two spring loaded launchers. Just set them up to fire simultaneously and BAM!

4. It would be fun to use two opposing compressed-air "potato guns". Differing densities of "ammo" could be used and the force easily controlled. I like your idea and I wager your class will love it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted
: CERN