Build a Model Hadron Collider at Home!

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of creating a model collider using two smashable objects, such as eggs, and filming the collision with a high-speed camera. The group also brainstormed ideas for accelerating the objects, including using spring-loaded projectile launchers or model train-tracks. The use of compressed-air "potato guns" was also suggested as a fun and easily controlled alternative. The intended audience for this project is high school students.
stevep855
Hi guys,

I have the idea of putting together a model collider that fires two smashable objects (eggs or whatever) at each other and show a high speed camera footage of the objects hitting each other - this is all as an analogy of what the hadron collider does at CERN.

Any ideas what I could use to accelerate the objects?

Any alternatives to eggs that I could use?

I've a mind to buy a couple of spring loaded projectile launchers, fit some clear plastic piping to a fish tank or some-such in the middle and fire them simultaneously at each other.

This is aimed at high school students,

your thoughts please...

Physics news on Phys.org
A very simple setup would be a set of model train-tracks with two carts carrying something you want to collide. You can just push them towards each other until splat!

I do think you had a decent idea of piping with two spring loaded launchers. Just set them up to fire simultaneously and BAM!

It would be fun to use two opposing compressed-air "potato guns". Differing densities of "ammo" could be used and the force easily controlled. I like your idea and I wager your class will love it.

1. What materials do I need to build a model Hadron Collider at home?

To build a model Hadron Collider at home, you will need materials such as cardboard tubes, marbles, magnets, wires, batteries, and a variety of other small household items. You can also use LEGO pieces or other building blocks to create the structure of the collider.

2. How much does it cost to build a model Hadron Collider at home?

The cost of building a model Hadron Collider at home can vary depending on the materials you use. It can range from a few dollars to around $50, depending on the complexity and size of your model. However, many of the materials can be found around your house or purchased at a low cost from a hobby or hardware store.

3. How long does it take to build a model Hadron Collider at home?

The time it takes to build a model Hadron Collider at home can vary depending on your level of experience and the complexity of your design. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete. It may also take longer if you encounter any challenges or difficulties during the construction process.

4. Can I actually create particle collisions with a model Hadron Collider at home?

No, a model Hadron Collider cannot create actual particle collisions. The real Large Hadron Collider at CERN is a highly complex and sophisticated machine that involves advanced technologies and safety precautions. However, building a model Hadron Collider at home can help you understand the basic concepts and principles of particle physics and the operation of the real collider.

5. Can children participate in building a model Hadron Collider at home?

Yes, children can definitely participate in building a model Hadron Collider at home. It can be a fun and educational project for children to learn about particle physics and the scientific method. However, adult supervision may be needed for handling certain materials or using tools such as scissors or glue.