Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hadronic matter

1. Apr 22, 2003 #1
    Does anyone know what hadronic matter is, and why it is important? I was reading something about it, and I thought it looked interesting, so if anyone knows something about it, I would appreciate the input. Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hadronic matter is ordinary matter, like you and me. Hadrons are subatomic particles that feel the strong force; the most common hadrons are the proton and neutron. They make up the nucleus of the atoms that make us up, and the great amount of our mass. The electrons only contribute less than 1/1800th of the mass.

The importance of hadronic matter in cosmology is what it can't do. It can't account for all the gravitation we infer from the motions of the galaxies. So there must be something non-hadronic that does this. This is the famous "dark matter".
  4. Apr 22, 2003 #3
    Then what is baryonic matter? I thought that baryonic matter was regular matter.
  5. Apr 22, 2003 #4
    Leptons ("light") - e. g., electrons and neutrinos

Mesons ("middle") - e. g., pions and muons

Baryons ("heavy") - e. g., protons and neutrons

Hadrons - mesons and baryons; matter made of quarks

Fermions ("Fermi")- half-integer spin particles; leptons, mesons(?), and baryons

Bosons ("Bose") - integer-spin particles - e. g., photons and gravitons
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?