Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hafele and Keating Experiment

1. Feb 6, 2004 #1
    While researching how SR effect could be applied to GPS clock after GR effect, I encountered the experiment made on 1971.

In the section "Kinematic Time Shift Calculation", I saw an totally no sense algorithm, violating simple math.

Ts = T0 * (1+R^2w^2/(2*c^2)), where Ts is the Earth surface time, R is the Earth's radius and w is the Earth's angular velocity of Earth's rotation.

Ta = T0 * (1+(R^2*w^2+v^2)/(2*c^2)), where Ta is the airplane's time and v is airplane's velocity.

Ta-Ts = T0 *( 2Rwv+V^2)/(2c^2).

Up to here , it's totally reasonable.

Next thing, it brought in is completely math. incorrect.

Ta-Ts = - Ts * (2Rwv+v^2)/2c^2.

Note the minus sign coming from nowhere. If Ta is larger than Ts from the first two equations, Ta-Ts will never be negative.

If this math. can live in the Physics, there is definitely something wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

I think you mean Kinematic Time Shift Calculation

Yes, this derivation is loose a litle bit.
    In the first equation, i.e. in [tex]T = \frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]T_0[/tex] is the time elapsed between two events occuring in the centre of the Earth, while [tex]T[/tex] stands for the time elapsed between this two events in an inertial reference frame moving with velocity v with respect the centre of the Earth.

Really, here is nothing to do with this. We need just the opposite. If the proper time elapsed on the airplane is T (this isn't an inertial frame!), then during this, in the centre of the Earth elapses
    [tex]T_0 = \frac{T}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
    time (the centre of the Earth is regarded now to move inertially)

So, our second equation reads correctly
    [tex]T \approx T_0 \left[ 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}\right] [/tex].

And so on. The sign was missed at the beginning.
  4. Jan 15, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

5. Jan 16, 2007 #4

Fine! Thx!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?