Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hahn Banach theorem example

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

I'm trying to understand the Hahn Banach theorem, that every bounded linear functional f on some subspace M of a normed linear space X can be extended to a linear functional F on all of X with the same norm, and which agrees with f on M. But the proof is non-constructive, using zorn's lemma.

So I'm trying to come up with examples so I can understand it better. For example, let L be the space of all bounded infinite sequences with the sup norm, and let M be the subspace of L consisting of those sequences that converge to some finite limit. Then, on this subspace, the functional given by taking the limit of a sequence is clearly linear and bounded. So it must extend to a bounded linear functional on all of L. But I can't imagine what such a functional would look like. Is it possible to explicitly construct one?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The functional would have to have the following properties:

1. Any two sequences whose difference converges to zero must get the same value (eg, if f(1,0,1,0,...)=a then f(1/2,1/2,2/3,1/3,3/4,1/4,...)=a).

2. If the sum of two sequence converges to some limit, the sum of the values for each sequence equals the limit of their sum. (eg, if f(1,0,1,0,...)=a, then f(0,1,0,1,...)=1-a).

But what is, say, a? Can it be anything?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?