Hai Calculating Net Electrostatic Force Need help :(

In summary, the problem involves three charged objects placed in a specific configuration. The task is to find the net force on the object with a charge of -5uC. The solution involves calculating the magnitude and nature of forces acting on the object, constructing a vector triangle, and using the cosine rule to find the resultant force. After multiple attempts, the final answer is determined to be 4.68 N at an angle of 57.4 degrees south of east.
Mori

Homework Statement

Three charged objects are placed as shown. Find the net force on the object with the charge of -5uC
Diagram:[/B]
http://imgur.com/xHGHGbd

Homework Equations

No idea what to do as far as steps go, I don't know how to start :([/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

None so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try calculating the magnitude of the forces (individually) acting on the specified object and determine their nature (i.e. attractive/repulsive) , then find the resultant vector of force using trigonometry.

Okay, I'll go find each one acting on it, gimme a sec :D

6uc vs. -5uc = -0.0902135052958669(Attractive)
-7uc vs. -5uc = 0.07875 N(Repulsive)

How do I use these in trigonometry?

You've made a unit conversion error somewhere - it should be 9.023...N and 7.875 N.

Oh, sorry xD
I might've typed it wrong,or I'm just kinda dumb.

The forces will be vectors, so construct a vector triangle and find the "length of the missing side" in terms of Newtons.

Not true - even PhD students can make conversion errors.

I got 34.6456i, 36.68 deg. S of E, did I get it? :D

I'm afraid that is incorrect; how can the force have a magnitude which is non-real in this case? I suggest that you use the cosine rule to find the resultant force.

I did these, what did I do wrong?
Multiply it by sin(30) and multiply 7.875 again by cos(30) = (6.82 N, 3.94 N)
Turn the 6uc into vector components. = (-9.02 N,0)
Add the two vectors = (-2.2, 3.94)
Use pythagorean theorem on it = 3.27 N
Arctangent to find direction= -60.809688481761 degrees
3.37 N, 60 degrees N of W

The vector triangle will not be right angled - do you have a justification for assuming one of the angles between the vectors to be 90 degrees? The resultant won't be on the same line as the 10cm one, so using pythagoras' principle won't work. Try using the cosine rule.

4.68 N, 57.4deg S of E
Got that after various tries, done?

Multiply it by sin(30) and multiply 7.88 again by cos(30) = (6.82 N, -3.94 N)
Turn the 6uc into vector components. = (-9.34 N,0)
Add the two vectors = (-2.52, 3.94)
Use pythagorean theorem on it = 4.68 N
Arctangent to find direction= -57.4 Degrees
4.68 N, 57.4deg S of E

1. What is net electrostatic force?

Net electrostatic force is the total force exerted between two or more charged particles, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force.

2. How do you calculate net electrostatic force?

To calculate net electrostatic force, you must first determine the individual forces acting on each charged particle using Coulomb's law. Then, you can add these forces vectorially to find the total net force.

3. What factors affect net electrostatic force?

The magnitude and sign of the charges, as well as the distance between the charged particles, are the main factors that affect net electrostatic force. Other factors may include the presence of other charged particles or the medium in which the particles are located.

4. Can net electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, net electrostatic force can be negative if the charged particles have opposite charges and are attracted to each other. This means that the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the electric field.

5. How is net electrostatic force used in real-life applications?

Net electrostatic force is used in various applications such as particle accelerators, electrostatic precipitators, and electrostatic spray painting. It is also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and biology.