Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hair help (male)

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1

Vid

I have ridiculously long hair (past my nipples), and I want something short. I really have no idea what to ask for when I go to the barber tomorrow. Any ideas? I can post a picture if that would help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2
    A buzz cut?

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Men with long hair are sexy. :!!)

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just ask for what length you want it. My mum cuts mine o:)

6. Nov 25, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Nothing shorter than chin length preferably, it should definitely cover you ear lobes.

7. Nov 25, 2008 #6
    Take the plunge.

2 on the sides and back, shorten up the top.

or go with the buzz cut. tons of guys sport the buzz cut simply because they love the convenience of not having to do anything to their hair when they wake up on the morning.

8. Nov 25, 2008 #7

Vid

I'm kind of weary of a buzz or crew cut. I've had long hair since junior high and I'm now a college sophomore. I'm really just afraid of what I'd look like with short hair. I like Evo's advice, but I'm just not sure what to tell the barber.

9. Nov 25, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go with the buzz cut. If you don't like it, no worries -- it'll grow. When it gets to a length you like, start getting it trimmed every month or so.

You only live once - a buzz cut is nothing to be afraid of!

10. Nov 25, 2008 #9
    You'd be surprised... Out of everyone I've ever known with long hair who got a short haircut, only one of them ended up looking worse. So it can happen, but not usually. Hair grows back. If you post a picture I think PF would be able to help you better.

11. Nov 25, 2008 #10

Evo

NOOOOOO not a buzz cut, they're ugly. Go with my suggestion, then if you still want shorter, you can go shorter, you can't glue hair back on your head to cover a buzz cut.

The problem with growing out a really short cut, like a buzz cut, is that you will suffer months of dorky looking hair at odd lengths until it gets long enough all over to get a decent cut.

12. Nov 25, 2008 #11

Vid

13. Nov 25, 2008 #12

Evo

Go for chin or ear length first, I think that would frame your face nicely. You can always go shorter in stages if you want.

14. Nov 25, 2008 #13
    I say do what ever the chicks here want. Thats why guys have hair in the first place isn't it?

15. Nov 25, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Buzz cuts are SEXY!!!!

If you're not sure what to ask for and just know you want it shorter, tell the barber that. Maybe he can recommend a cut that will work for you.

Edit: By the way, remember that Evo likes the super-geeky guys. If you don't want to look super-geeky, don't take her advice on haircuts. :biggrin:

16. Nov 25, 2008 #15

Evo

Are we talking about prison inmate buzz cuts? :eek:

17. Nov 25, 2008 #16
    I'm going to have to agree with Moonbear on this one:biggrin:. The shorter the better! I tend to think that guys with long hair, look kinda dirty, since most of them really don't know how to keep it nice and trimmed, so shorter is better. I defantly think so anyhow :biggrin:

18. Nov 25, 2008 #17
    pick one or the other, go short or keep it long, dont go in between. I hate the in between look. You can have really short hair without buzzing it.

19. Nov 25, 2008 #18

Evo

No, this is MUCH better!

Attached Files:

20. Nov 25, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly. From the photo posted, even though his hair is probably clean, it looks greasy, because it just hangs there straight and limp. It's just the type of hair he has, but he's a cute guy who would look great if he just got his hair cut nice and short. It's not the type of hair that looks good long. And, I also agree with fileen...don't do something in between. That just leaves you immediately looking like you're in need of a haircut. So, just cut it short.

21. Nov 25, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: Those photos look completely dorky! Admit it, you know you like the geeky, dorky types, so you go for guys with hair that makes them look geeky. Most people don't really want to look geeky on purpose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?