Male Hair Help: Choosing the Right Cut for Long Hair

• Thread starter Vid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, Evo likes the super-geeky guys. Guys with long hair who get a short haircut usually look better.
you know you want a Yanni cut!
152_con_yanni2.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
only fabio can pull off the long hair look. Anyone else just looks like a pansy twat or a goth.

http://www.fabioinc.com/FABIO_MODEL_FOLDER2/fabio_whitegarbagee_web.jpg

Why not get a perm?

keeganDM0609_468x766.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought... do not go to a barber. Go to a salon, preferably with lots of female stylists so they can discuss, and have a chick cut your hair however they decide. They'll know more about what cuts look good on what type of face with what type of hair.

My husband's/sons' barber was very sick (for about a month) and I finally took the boys to my shop to have them done. They came out so nice... (and, at their ages) they enjoyed having ladies cut their hair (the flirts!). This is even just a "super-cuts" walk-in place... but I've always had luck with the younger stylists there.

Evo said:
We really have different tastes in men. I have never and will never date a man with short hair.

I think Johnny Depp is hot.
Johnny Depp is cute, not hot. But, his cutest days were when he had short hair. He looks more nerdy/dorky with longer hair. Here...look how fantastic he looked back in his early days with shorter hair (no, not a buzz cut, but you can have short hair without a buzz cut).
johnny.jpg

mcknia07 said:
I like to play with short hair better, it's fun. Long hair, your fingers get tangled in it.
Yep, short hair just feels really nice.

Evo said:
First picture, gorgeous hair. I would love to run my hands through that. Second picture, ick. He has 5 o'clock shadow on his head. Last picture is same guy with hair.
The middle photo is SO much better than the others. The first and last make him look like a slob.

And, no, even Fabio doesn't look that good with long hair. He looks "pretty" which is not usually the look guys go for. Can you imagine how much hotter he would look if he cut his hair shorter?! *drools* And, since most men aren't followed around by professional hairstylists, long hair just ends up looking limp and dull.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4196/img0457ou2.jpg

That's a picture of me and my hair. This in July. It's the same length now since I got a haircut. I tried something different awhile ago, but it was garbage after a few days. I'm back to what I look like in the picture.

Yeah, I always wear a hat with the wings flying out like that. My hair underneath is a mess.

I'm starting to see some other girl and she likes short hair. Regardless, she likes my hair. I wonder if she likes me... I should start a thread.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Honestly it seems only Italians can pull off the long hair look.
Nope, not even then. My boyfriend is Italian, and if his hair gets more than an inch long (okay, even back in the days when he had hair :biggrin:), he looks, well, like he needs a haircut.

When I see Beckham with long hair, I want to tell him to wash his hair and get a haircut. It looks greasy, flat and bedraggled. :yuck: One of the masculine features of men that makes them look really hot is a strong jawline...prominent cheekbones too. If you have long hair, it hides too much of the jawline, sometimes the cheekbones too, and makes them look feminine. It's not attractive at all...unless you like effeminate looking men.

Moonbear said:
If you have long hair, it hides too much of the jawline, sometimes the cheekbones too, and makes them look feminine. It's not attractive at all...unless you like effeminate looking men.
Unless it's a beard. I've never had someone tell me I look effeminate. :biggrin:

One could put one's long hair in a ponytail to see what one would look like with shorter hair. And if one could just start cutting little by little until the desired length.

Amusing thread this is.

Amendement: I'm waiting for Cyrus's commentary. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I like limp greasy hair and I like effeminate looking men. They rock. long hair does not have to hide cheek and jaw bones. :smile:

Astronuc said:
Unless it's a beard. I've never had someone tell me I look effeminate. :biggrin:

One could put one's long hair in a ponytail to see what one would look like with shorter hair. And if one could just start cutting little by little until the desired length.

Amusing thread this is.

Amendement: I'm waiting for Cyrus's commentary. :biggrin:

It's all relative to the length of your forehead, your face, the width and so on. No one haircut works best for everyone.

I think that you need some short hair with volume! Not afro-volume... only really confident folks with the right hair can pull that off (and I've seen good blond and black 'fros with natural tight curl). You have a large, somewhat round face and presence... so you'll need some slightly larger hair, probably on the top like Moonbear's Depp shot. I think my husband's hair looks best that way... and he's a big guy (with facial hair) at 6'+, 280lb's+. I'm also a "short-haired guy" type of gal (Moonbeam's Depp shot is nice eye-candy! :biggrin:).

physics girl phd said:
My thought... do not go to a barber. Go to a salon, preferably with lots of female stylists so they can discuss, and have a chick cut your hair however they decide. They'll know more about what cuts look good on what type of face with what type of hair.

My husband's/sons' barber was very sick (for about a month) and I finally took the boys to my shop to have them done. They came out so nice... (and, at their ages) they enjoyed having ladies cut their hair (the flirts!). This is even just a "super-cuts" walk-in place... but I've always had luck with the younger stylists there.

No, you need someone that actually have clientele attached to you. One of my stylists who I go for something new, if she messes up, all my friends and family finds out. So, she makes sure she doesn't **** around.

I don't trust any stylists basically, especially the young ones. Young ones get cut happy and cut too much... idiots.

Funny to hear people say that long hair = greasy and dirty. So women with long hair are greasy and dirty?

Evo said:
Funny to hear people say that long hair = greasy and dirty. So women with long hair are greasy and dirty?
Regardless of hair length, guys are greasy and dirty. As the saying goes - 'Guys sweat, women perspire'. :rofl: :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
This was the best Beckham cut.

http://www.kjbeckett.com/mensfashionblog/uploaded_images/david-beckham-hairstyle-long-10-745460.jpg
Now[/URL] that is hot, with the buzz cut he looks like a prison inmate.

Evo said:

Look at those photos! Men usually have thinner hair than women, and it just doesn't do anything. Women with thin hair like that usually wear it short too, because thin, limp hair doesn't look good long on anyone. Very few men have a thick enough head of hair for it to not look limp and greasy. How can you look at Beckham's photo and NOT think it looks limp and greasy? And parted straight down the middle? He looks like the students who just roll out of bed, throw on sweats and a hat and head to class without showering or grooming. :yuck:

You definitely don't have to worry about me stealing your men. :biggrin:

Beckham's hair isn't thin, its just shiny. I doubt you could question his grooming either. :tongue:

Kurdt said:
Beckham's hair isn't thin, its just shiny. I doubt you could question his grooming either. :tongue:

It's both thin and shiny, and limp. Not exactly the image of masculinity. :wink: He looks like he needs a haircut. I don't know how you can call that a style. There's no style to it at all, it just hangs there like he either is overdue for a haircut, or trying to grow it out, but has achieved neither yet. And worse, his roots are showing, only adding to the "greasy" look by making the center part look really dark compared to the rest. If he's going to wear a beard that's his natural hair color, he really ought to leave his hair his natural color too. He'd probably look better than as a bleach blonde anyway.

Once in a blue moon, a guy can pull off long hair. One of my step-brothers has really curly, full hair and used to wear it long. It looked great on him. But then he got it cut really short because he was having trouble getting work and thought cutting his hair would make him seem more "respectable" (a HUGE step for him...he certainly tried to avoid being respectable for a very long time :biggrin:). I admit I didn't think he'd look as good with short hair, but when I saw him after the haircut, it was amazing how much better he looked. I don't think it made him look more respectable, though, but that's only because I know his personality far too well to fall for that. He did get more work after that, though.

Funny, but most of the scientists and academic/intellectual types I've known wore their hair at least over the ears. The only ones with short hair were business majors. :tongue:

From the different responses in this thread, it sounds like a guy can do anything he wants with his hair and there will be women out there who like it. But you'll never please everybody.

The shorter your haircut, the less you have to worry. On the other hand, winter is approaching.

Moonbear said:
Once in a blue moon, a guy can pull off long hair. One of my step-brothers has really curly, full hair and used to wear it long.

I just changed my profile pic for a different one as well. My old pic was sporting my natural curls which evidently developed after my new pic along with my hair colour.

Redbelly98 said:
From the different responses in this thread, it sounds like a guy can do anything he wants with his hair and there will be women out there who like it. But you'll never please everybody.
Extremes like a buzz cut or waist length long hair are going to limit your appeal though.

Your hair appears to be over the ears, that's about as short as I like it.

Evo said:
Funny, but most of the scientists and academic/intellectual types I've known wore their hair at least over the ears. The only ones with short hair were business majors. :tongue:

You should spend more time around real scientists and academics then. Hair comes in two lengths. Short and "long enough to pull into a ponytail." The men opt for short. The women are more split. Anything in between is simply dangerous in a lab...and looks stupid. I'd cut my own hair shorter if I thought I'd look good that way, but I have facial features similar to my mom who wears her hair short, and I don't think it looks good. It's a lot easier to keep out of your way when it's short. Only the uber-nerds have hair in between, and everyone knows they're nerds. Most scientists and academics really are normal people and not nerds, contrary to what is portrayed on TV.

Moonbear said:
You should spend more time around real scientists and academics then.
My last boyfriend was an AAAS Fellow and Lord High Muckety Muck. He was also the poster boy for the "American Scientist" exhibit at a world renowned institution. He was a 6'3" tall lucite display, he had chin length hair. :biggrin:

Evo said:
My last boyfriend was an AAAS Fellow and Lord High Muckety Muck. He was also the poster boy for the "American Scientist" exhibit at a world renowned institution. He was a 6'3" tall lucite display, he had chin length hair. :biggrin:

Okay, so you've spent time with one lord high muckety muck nerd who is not representative of NORMAL scientists. I've worked in research labs at 4 different universities. Nerdy is not the norm.

Moonbear said:
Okay, so you've spent time with one lord high muckety muck nerd who is not representative of NORMAL scientists. I've worked in research labs at 4 different universities. Nerdy is not the norm.
NERDS RULE! :approve: I also had more than my share when I lived next to NASA. These weren't lab rats, they were "profound thinkers". :tongue2: I think their hair length was more to do with not taking time to go to the barber than a fashion statement. And then there were the guys at Bell Labs I knew when I worked in NJ that were chained in a basement and hadn't seen daylight in 10 years.

Evo said:
NERDS RULE! :approve: I also had more than my share when I lived next to NASA. These weren't lab rats, they were "profound thinkers". :tongue2: I think their hair length was more to do with not taking time to go to the barber than a fashion statement. And then there were the guys at Bell Labs I knew when I worked in NJ that were chained in a basement and hadn't seen daylight in 10 years.

EXACTLY! Those are the nerds. :yuck: I've dated a few of them, and I can guarantee you that their lack of attention to grooming extends into lack of attention in other areas as well. They're just too single-focused on their research and out of touch with the rest of the world. At first they seem interesting because they're quite smart and seem like they can hold a good conversation, but in the end, they turn out to be horribly boring, because they can only hold a conversation on a very limited range of topics. And, they're SLOBS. I have no patience for men who can't clean up after themselves.

Evo said:

Yes - By the way is that you (your display picture)?

instant_ramen said:
Yes - By the way is that you (your display picture)?
No, this is me.

Attachments

• fd005d[1].JPG
    fd005d[1].JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 396
Ah. Lovely. =]

That's my "I have allergies" picture. The orange girl in my profile is my younger daughter.

Oh...It seems to be the opposite to me - You look slightly younger than your daughter!

instant_ramen said:
Oh...It seems to be the opposite to me - You look slightly younger than your daughter!
Good genes.

Poor vid's thread has been hijacked.

Don't cut your hair off vid!

SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT SHAVE IT

I had really messy hair throughout high school. One day I decided to take a #2 to it... one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Evo said:
Your hair appears to be over the ears, that's about as short as I like it.

It's above the ears after I get it cut, then 2 months later it's covering part of the ears ... time for another haircut!