1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hairy Electro-Magnetics problem.

1. Mar 15, 2004 #1
    A surface current equal to Js is flowing on the surface of a perfect conductor in the x-z-plane traveling in the positive x direction. At a distance y = L along the y-axis lies the central axis of a cylindrical conductor with radius “a” and having a volumetric current distribution Jv= Jo*r*ex traveling in the positive x-direction, where L > a. Find the condition for Jo where the H field is equal to zero in the regions, r <= a and r > a.

What I know:

Without posting a ton of equations I’ll tell you where I’m stuck. I used Biot-Savart laws for a surface current and a volumetric current and combined them to find the condition where the H-fields cancel.

I’m not sure how to handle the integrals for the Biot-Savart laws. I get infinities in the limits and everything explodes.Do you have make a one axis simplification to find where the fields cancel? I’m thinking you do because the math gets hairy. Or am I going in the wrong direction, do you use something other than Biot-Savart’s law?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted