How can I compute edge states in the Haldane model with varying dimensions?

• I
  • Thread starter Ammo1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary: After this I will be looking into armchair and zigzag edge states respectively, and determining their boundary conditions
Ammo1337
Hi there, studying the Haldane model for my final year project next year, having some trouble understanding how the distant and nearest neighbour hopping works with varying width or height of a 2d sheet in the Haldane model? I'm find some references in papers but they appear to be way over my head and not accessible at all as I've only touched solid state physics (tight binding model and such) and not much condensed matter.

I'm also very interested to know how these hopping terms (NN or distant) are accounted for when looking at edge states in a bulk model?

I've also looked at how these edge states are calculated but I'm not having much luck. I assume it's something obvious and just the resulting energy spectrum from band theory and the tight binding model?

I would appreciate any kind of push in the correct direction, I've asked a lot of questions here but I'm a little scatter brained at the moment! I'll be doing a lot of reading over the weekend

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm used to the Haldane model being defined with just nearest and next-nearest neighbor couplings. When you say "distant," are you referring to a variation of Haldane's model?

Ammo1337 said:
I've also looked at how these edge states are calculated but I'm not having much luck. I assume it's something obvious and just the resulting energy spectrum from band theory and the tight binding model?

What I think should work is to calculate the spectrum on an infinite strip or a cylinder. You should find zero-energy states in the topological phase, and argue that they live on the edges.

Likes Ammo1337
king vitamin said:
I'm used to the Haldane model being defined with just nearest and next-nearest neighbor couplings. When you say "distant," are you referring to a variation of Haldane's model?
What I think should work is to calculate the spectrum on an infinite strip or a cylinder. You should find zero-energy states in the topological phase, and argue that they live on the edges.

Yes I've looked at this and you are correct, I've managed to get this correct and solve the bulk, however I am having trouble creating a general hamiltonian that can represent a graphene lattice with both NN and NNN hoppings that is n lattice sides wide in the x direction and m in the y direction, so I am able to analyse edge currents for varying sizes, eg 10x10, 5x5, 100x100, as the haldane model.

After this I will be looking into armchair and zigzag edge states respectively, and determining their boundary conditions

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this, are there any lecture notes out there of this? Papers don't seem to be helping much as they usually skip all this and just include the graphs and numerical results.

Many thanks for any help you can provide once again!
SpinFlop said:

This has helped quite a bit with starting me off, thank you.

Last edited:
There is a textbook, "Topological Insulators and Topological Superconductors" by Bernevig and Hughes, which computes the edge states in graphene. This should be a good reference for how to do this for the Haldane model, which is defined on the same lattice. Unfortunately, the book is pretty awful (it's riddled with typos and mistakes), but I can' think of another resource with the specific computation you're requesting.

1. How do I define the Haldane model?

The Haldane model is a theoretical model used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of electrons in a two-dimensional lattice with a non-trivial topology. It is characterized by a complex hopping term that breaks time-reversal symmetry and leads to the emergence of topologically protected edge states.

2. What is the significance of computing edge states in the Haldane model?

Computing edge states in the Haldane model allows us to understand the topological properties of the system and how they affect the behavior of electrons. This is important for studying the behavior of materials with potential applications in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

3. What are the key factors that affect the computation of edge states in the Haldane model?

The dimensions of the system and the strength of the complex hopping term are the main factors that affect the computation of edge states in the Haldane model. Other factors such as boundary conditions and disorder can also play a role.

4. How can I compute edge states in the Haldane model with varying dimensions?

To compute edge states in the Haldane model with varying dimensions, you will need to use numerical methods such as exact diagonalization or density matrix renormalization group (DMRG) algorithms. These methods can handle systems with different dimensions and provide accurate results for the edge states.

5. What are some potential challenges in computing edge states in the Haldane model?

One potential challenge is the complexity of the model, which can make it difficult to find analytical solutions. This means that numerical methods are often necessary, which can be computationally demanding for larger systems. Another challenge is the presence of disorder, which can affect the accuracy of the results and require more sophisticated computational techniques.