1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half a sphere

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1

Nea

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The half a sphere with a 'm' mass and 'r' radius is equilibrated on a plan absolutely polished horizontal with the side of the AB wire. So the surface of the half a sphere has with the horizontal plan an alpha angle. Find, after the break of the wire, the velocity of the O center and her maximal value too, also the maximal value of the pressure of the half-sphere over the horizontal. Find that for small angles it behaves like a mathematical pendulum.
    Illustration:
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the lagrange's equations can be employed to solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Dox

Hello.

I think that using Lagrange's methods won't help you. The best you can do is using Newton... use vectors!

Regards.

4. Jun 7, 2007 #3
    I would use newton as well but I think it will take some work to draw the components and figure out which contributes to the torque in which way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?