Solving Half Equation Problems in Redox Reactions

• Thread starter fabbo
  • Start date
In summary, to write half equations from a redox reaction involving H+ and water, follow these steps: separate the oxidation and reduction half reactions, balance atoms other than oxygen and water, balance H+ in acidic medium by adding H+ and in basic medium by adding equal numbers of water molecules and OH-, balance charges by adding electrons, and add the two balanced reactions in a way that eliminates the electrons. To determine which species undergoes oxidation or reduction, find their oxidation numbers and remember that oxidation occurs when the number increases and reduction occurs when it decreases. Finally, simplify the coefficients to cancel out any excess species.
fabbo
I find it really hard to write half equations from the given redox reaction. I'm ok when H+ and water are not involved but when they are I get stuck.

Eg. for this reaction:

IO3- + 5I- + 6H+ ----------> 3I2 + 3H2O

How would you go about splitting it up as I features as a reactant twice?

Physics news on Phys.org
u could try these steps-
separate oxidation n reduction 1/2 reactions
balance atms other than Oxygen n water
balance H in acidic med. by adding H+ n in basic med. by adding equal no of water molecules,(ie 2H --> 2H2O) n equal no of OH- to the other side
balance charges by adding electrons
Add the two balanced reactions in such a way that the electrons are eliminated frm the reaction.

For splitting Find oxidation no of all the I containing species. oxidation takes place if it inc frm rectant to product side otherwise its reduction

Last edited:
Start with

IO3- -> 1/2 I2

I- -> 1/2 I2

Whatever will be in excess, will finally cancel out, or you will end with coefficients to simplify - both cases easy to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a half equation in a redox reaction?

A half equation is a chemical equation that shows the oxidation or reduction reaction of a single compound in a redox reaction. It includes the reactant and product of the specific half reaction, as well as the electrons gained or lost in the process.

2. How do I balance a half equation in a redox reaction?

To balance a half equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element and the overall charge are equal on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adding appropriate coefficients and balancing the charges with electrons.

3. What is the purpose of solving half equations in redox reactions?

Solving half equations is important in redox reactions because it allows us to determine the amount of substance involved in the reaction, as well as the direction of the electron flow. It also helps us to understand the overall reaction and its products.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving half equations in redox reactions?

One common mistake is forgetting to balance the electrons in the half equation. Another is not considering the oxidation numbers of the elements involved in the reaction. It is also important to double-check the coefficients and charges to ensure they are balanced.

5. Are there any tips for solving half equations in redox reactions?

Some tips for solving half equations include: keeping track of the oxidation numbers of the elements involved, balancing the atoms and charges on each side of the equation, and checking your work at each step. It can also be helpful to break down the reaction into smaller steps and solve each half equation separately.