• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Half equations

• Thread starter rosie_burk
  • Start date
The thermite process can be used to weld lengths of railway track together. A mould placed over the ends of the rails to be joined is filled with a charge of aluminium powder and iron(iii) oxide. When the mixture is ignited, a redox reaction occurs to form molten iron, which joins the rails together.

a. Write a half equation for the conversion of iron(iii) oxide to metallic iron.

i got Fe2O3 + 6H+ +6e- = 2Fe + 3H20- but thats wrong according to the book, the answer is Fe2O3(s) + 6e- --> 2Fe(l) + 3O 2- (s). I don't understand why they balanced it using oxygen instead of water.

b. Write the overall equation for the thermite process.

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The thermite process can be used to weld lengths of railway track together. A mould placed over the ends of the rails to be joined is filled with a charge of aluminium powder and iron(iii) oxide. When the mixture is ignited, a redox reaction occurs to form molten iron, which joins the rails together.

a. Write a half equation for the conversion of iron(iii) oxide to metallic iron.

i got Fe2O3 + 6H+ +6e- = 2Fe + 3H20- but thats wrong according to the book, the answer is Fe2O3(s) + 6e- --> 2Fe(l) + 3O 2- (s). I don't understand why they balanced it using oxygen instead of water.
Because that would be two half reactions...

6H+ + 3O-2 ------> 3H2O

and

Fe2O3 + 6e- -------------> 2Fe(0) + 3O-2