How Do I Design a Half H Bridge for My Robot Wars Project?

In summary, the robot will have two motors (12V) that are used to steer (slow down on one wheel to steer type idea) and the motor controller must be able to go fast, slow, and stop on both motors independently. If you need anymore information to work with please let me know.
icysquiffle
Im a second year mechanical engineer at university, we have a group project to design a robot for robot wars. To do this we have to design something called a half H bridge. I have very little understanding of electrical engineering and our electrical engineer has dropped out of uni leaving us to do this alone. Any help designing the circuit would be greatly appreciated.
The robot will have two motors (12V) that are used to steer (slow down on one wheel to steer type idea)
The motor controller must be able to go fast, slow, and stop on both motors independently.
If you need anymore information to work with please let me know
thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
we have been given a 7 channel transmitter and receiver linked to a RC airplane remote control, I assume this is what you mean by controlling the system

I just want to understand the nature of the signals that will connect to the motor control system. Are there 7 ON/OFF signals? Or analog signals? Or PWM signals? How many are allocated to the motor control, and what do you think they will do. For example, will it be 2 signals for FORWARD/BRAKE and FAST/SLOW to each motor? Or, do you need a freewheel mode? Or, do you have an analog or PWM channel for speed control?

As far a designing a half-h-bridge, the link I posted shows what it is. Also you can google half-h-bridge motor control and look at images. Ignore the examples with 4 switches (those are full h bridge).

honestly I have no idea, i showed the link you posted to the guys in my group and they seem to understand it though so thanks for the help :)

1. What is a Half H bridge controller?

A Half H bridge controller is an electronic device used to control the direction and speed of a DC motor. It is called a "half" H bridge because it only uses two transistors instead of the four typically used in a full H bridge configuration.

2. How does a Half H bridge controller work?

A Half H bridge controller works by switching the polarity of the voltage applied to the motor using the two transistors. By turning one transistor on and the other off, the current flows in one direction, and by turning the other transistor on and the first off, the current flows in the opposite direction. This allows for control of the motor's direction and speed.

3. What are the advantages of using a Half H bridge controller?

One advantage of using a Half H bridge controller is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness compared to a full H bridge. It also has a lower power dissipation and can handle higher currents, making it suitable for applications with larger motors.

4. What are the typical applications of a Half H bridge controller?

Half H bridge controllers are commonly used in robotics, electric vehicles, and other applications that require control of DC motors. They can also be used in battery-powered devices, such as toys and small appliances.

5. What should I consider when choosing a Half H bridge controller?

When choosing a Half H bridge controller, you should consider the voltage and current ratings, as well as the maximum switching frequency. You should also ensure that it has the necessary protection features, such as overcurrent and overtemperature protection, to prevent damage to the motor and controller.