1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half Life Help

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Half Life Help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The activity of a radioisotope is 3000 counts per minute at one time and 2736 counts per minute 48 hours later. What is the half-life of th radioisotope?

This is where I'm completely lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

See here for some information:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html#c3
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html#c2

You first need to figure out the decay constant (represented by [tex]\lambda[/tex]), which you can do by using the decay equation. Once you have that, you can find the half-life*. The equations you need are in the link. Give it a try and see what you come up with.

*Or you could just substitute the expression for lambda (which relates to the half-life) into the decay equation and solve for the half-life all in one go. Same thing.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    [tex]\ln{\frac {[A]_{0}}{[A]_{t}}} = kt[/tex]

[tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}} = \frac {\ln{2}}{k}[/tex]

Take 3000 counts as [tex]A_{0}[/tex] and 2736 counts as [tex]A_{t}[/tex]

Also, do you know how the half-life equation is derived? And what connects these 2 equations?

*don't forget to convert your units.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. Dec 19, 2007 #4
    ok so [tex]\ln{\frac {[A]_{0}}{[A]_{t}}} = kt[/tex] is what I'm going to use to calculate k

and then i use [tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}} = \frac {\ln{2}}{k}[/tex] to calculate for [tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}}[/tex]

6. Dec 19, 2007 #5
    Did you get an answer?

7. Dec 19, 2007 #6
    yeah I got 21661 mins which then I converted to hours and that is 361 hours.

8. Dec 19, 2007 #7
    Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?