Half-Life of Tritium: 11.7 mg After 24.6 Yrs

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the mass of tritium remaining after 24.6 years if 46.9 mg is released from a nuclear power plant during an accident. The answer is 11.7 mg, obtained by recognizing that 24.6 years is the duration of 2 half-lives and dividing the original amount by 4. The correct number of significant figures must also be used, resulting in 11.7 mg as the final answer. There is a suggestion to also try 11.65 mg as a possible answer.
CaptainZappo
Question: The half-life of tritium (hydrogen-3) is 12.3 yr. If 46.9 mg of tritium is released from a nuclear power plant during the course of an accident, what mass of this nuclide will remain after 24.6 yr? (Significant figures are important)

My answer: 11.7 mg. I came to this answer by recognizing that 24.6 yr is the duration of 2 half lives. Thus, 1/4 of the original amount will be present. Dividing 46.9 by 4 yields 11.725; however, I must use the correct number of significant figures (3, I believe), so my final answer is 11.7 mg.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong, because my answer has been marked wrong and I cannot figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. I would also try 11.65mg - just in case they weren't being careful with sig figs.

Moved to homework forum.

1. What is the half-life of tritium?

The half-life of tritium is 12.3 years. This means that after 12.3 years, half of the initial amount of tritium will have decayed into other elements.

2. How much tritium will be left after 24.6 years?

After 24.6 years, only 11.7 mg of the initial amount of tritium will remain. This is due to the half-life of tritium and its continuous decay over time.

3. What is the significance of the half-life of tritium?

The half-life of tritium is important in determining the rate of decay of this radioactive isotope. It is also used in calculating the safe handling and storage of tritium in various industries, such as nuclear power plants.

4. How is the half-life of tritium measured?

The half-life of tritium is measured through a process called radiometric dating, which involves measuring the amount of remaining tritium in a sample and comparing it to the initial amount. This allows scientists to calculate the time it takes for half of the sample to decay.

5. What are the potential risks associated with the half-life of tritium?

The half-life of tritium poses potential health risks due to its radioactive nature. Exposure to high levels of tritium can increase the risk of cancer and other health issues. It is important to handle and dispose of tritium safely to minimize these risks.