Half-Life Question: Thorium-234 (24 days)

In summary, Thorium-234 has a half life of 24 days. If you begin with a 280 kg sample, in how many days will you have 17.5 kg of Thorium left?
kingbryant

Homework Statement

Thorium-234 has a half life of 24 days. If you begin with a 280 kg sample, in how many days will you have 17.5 kg of Thorium left?

Homework Equations

DONT KNOW EQUATIONS

The Attempt at a Solution

DONT KNOW HOW TO START. I AM CONFUSED

Physics news on Phys.org
You must know SOMETHING. Sorry, but you have to show some work. It's the rules. Finding the relevant equation would be a start. It shouldn't be too hard, especially if you have a book for the course.

Last edited:
i know halflife is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. i don't know how to find the answer or how to start it up. this is a topic that doesn't have examples/questions in the book. my teacher gave this question for a project. he said to do find it out so i need to know how to do it to fully understand

You may follow this method. You still have to work on the problem though.

Now, you are going to end up on 17.5 kg. If you keep on halving the initial 280 kg, you'll at some time reach 17.5. Or the other way round, you could proceed in the forward direction. If you keep on doubling 17.5, you'll reach 280 at some point. Both of them end up in the same equation.

Can you find the number of Halving it has to undergo to reach the final state? Then you have to multiply it by 24 (as it is the half life period, since Total Time = No. of halving required x Half life period). And you have your answer.

Regards,
Sleek.

Last edited:
You technically have enough information to start right there. As Sleek said you may do it manually. For example...

In 0 days 280 grams
In 24 days you will have 140
etc.,

It may end up though that the numbers of days may not be a multiple of 24 which means you may end up doing a bit of work. I don't want to give away the answer so remember you may want to set up a constant equation for this problem.

Last edited:

Question 1: What is Thorium-234?

Thorium-234 is a radioactive isotope of the element thorium. It has 90 protons and 144 neutrons in its nucleus, giving it a mass number of 234.

Question 2: How long does it take for Thorium-234 to decay?

Thorium-234 has a half-life of approximately 24 days. This means that it takes 24 days for half of the atoms in a sample of Thorium-234 to decay into other elements.

Question 3: What is the decay process of Thorium-234?

Thorium-234 undergoes alpha decay, meaning it emits an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from its nucleus. This results in the formation of a new element, typically uranium-230 or radium-226.

Question 4: What are the uses of Thorium-234?

Thorium-234 is primarily used in research and scientific experiments. It can also be used in nuclear reactors as a fuel source, although it is not as commonly used as other isotopes of thorium or uranium.

Question 5: Is Thorium-234 dangerous?

Thorium-234 is a radioactive element and can be dangerous if not handled properly. However, it has a relatively short half-life and emits alpha particles, making it less harmful compared to other radioactive elements. When handled safely, the risk of exposure is minimal.