1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half life time

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Nucleus ##^{252}_{98}Cf## alpha decays with half life time ##t_{1/2}=2.6## years.
    What is the velocity of the alpha particle after the decay?
    Estimate the half life time of the nucleus after the decay.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, no worries about the first part. I think i understand it and I think I got it right. My result is ##v_\alpha =0.058c##.

However, I have got absolutely no idea what to do with the second part, where I am supposed to estimate the half life time of ##^{248}_{96}X##.

I was thinking about Geiger-Nutall law, but I think this wouldn't be OK, even if I could somehow determine the constants in the equation. Any ideas on how to start here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know why you are writing the daughter element as ##^{248}_{96}X ##. Can't you find a periodic table and look up element 96?

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Because:
    - I won't have a periodic table on the test either so I won't be able to look up for element ##96## (or any other that is not already stored in my head).
    - It doesn't change anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted