1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half life with calculus

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the equation
    y = y0e-kt

2. Relevant equations

b) Show using your expression for λ that if at time t1 the amount is y1, then at time t1 + λ it will be y1/2, no matter what t1 is.

3. The attempt at a solution

y1=y0ekt1

that part I got. Then the answer key goes into the next step saying:λ = (−ln2/k)y0ek(t1+λ)

That is where I got lost. What is the step to go from the y1 equation into the lambda equation? I know that for half life, y1=y0/2 so that makes t=ln2/k . The time it takes for an element to decompose to half its mass is t=ln2/k . How do I make the connection to the very last lambda equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The statement "at time t1 the amount is t1" is the same as y1=y0e-kt1. At any time, the amount is y=y0e-kt.
    At time t=t1+λ, the amount is y=y0e-k(t1+λ)=y0e-kt1-kλ. You know the identity ax+y=ax ay, don't you? And λ is the half-life, so y0e-kλ=y0/2.
    Can you proceed from here?

ehild

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    using your method and identity, I got: y=y0e-kt1*e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]
    so
    y=y1*e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]

and then I am stuck again. lambda = half life, but what does that mean for me to get to y0e-kλ=y0/2.

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

y0e-kλ=y0/2, that is e-kλ=1/2.

ehild

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5
    I still do not see it. is lambda in this equation being treated as a variable or constant? is lambda the same as time?

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

λ is the time it takes for a sample of an element to decompose so that the mass of the original element in the resulting sample is half of the original mass. Thus, λ, must be the half-life.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7
    Ok I think I got it. This is my understanding, tell me if I am correct.

e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex] is the multiplier it takes to make an element exactly 1/2 of itself therefore we can set e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]=1/2
    So when I come to y=y0e-kt1*e-kλ That is the same thing as y=y0e-kt1*(1/2) and knowing that y0e-kt1=y1 we can say y=y1*(1/2)

am I right?

9. Aug 18, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, You are right, well done!

ehild

10. Aug 18, 2011 #9
    THank you all those who helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook