1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half Life

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After 25 years, 60% of a radioactive material decays. What is the half-life?

2. Relevant equations

I used a ratio of 25/.60= x/.50

3. The attempt at a solution

I also tried this ratio as 25/.40= x/.50 Im not really sure what equation I should be using but this ratio set up isnt getting me the correct answer

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2
    Decay is an exponential dcay. That is:

N(t) = N(t0)e-k(t-t0)

where N(t) is the amount at some time t, N(t0) is the amount at time t0, and k is the decay constant.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    Ok so I tried using this equation but I still got the problem wrong. I used these values:
    N(t)= .6 N(t0)=1 t=25 and t0= 0. I then solved the equation for the decay constant and got: k=.020433025. From my book I found an equation that related the half-life and the decay constant. The equation I used was half-life= ln2/k. from this I got 33.9228861414. This is similar to the answer I got from doing the ratios, and was wrong. I only have one more attempt for full credit and I dont know exactly where I went wrong.

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that N(t) represents the amount of radioactive substance that still remains at time t. So, if 60% has decayed, what % remains?

If you think about it, the half-life should be less than 25 years since more than half has decayed at 25 years.

6. Jul 31, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because you are talking about half life, in particular, I would use the formula (equivalent to the "e" formula TSny gives) [itex]X= C(1/2)^{t/T}[/itex] where C is the initial amount and T is the half life. (You can see that if t=0, [itex]C(1/2)^{0/T}= C[/itex] and if t= T, [itex]C(1/2)^{T/T}= C/2[/itex].)

If 60% has decayed then 40% is left so [itex].4C= C(1/2)^{25/T}[/itex]. The two "C"s will cancel leaving an equation to solve for T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook