Calculating Half-Life from Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the decay of a radioactive material after 25 years. The question is asking for the half-life of the material. Various equations and attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including using a decay constant and the formula X= C(1/2)^{t/T}. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to solve for T by setting up an equation with the initial amount and the remaining amount.
sklotz

Homework Statement

After 25 years, 60% of a radioactive material decays. What is the half-life?

Homework Equations

I used a ratio of 25/.60= x/.50

The Attempt at a Solution

I also tried this ratio as 25/.40= x/.50 I am not really sure what equation I should be using but this ratio set up isn't getting me the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Decay is an exponential dcay. That is:

N(t) = N(t0)e-k(t-t0)

where N(t) is the amount at some time t, N(t0) is the amount at time t0, and k is the decay constant.

Ok so I tried using this equation but I still got the problem wrong. I used these values:
N(t)= .6 N(t0)=1 t=25 and t0= 0. I then solved the equation for the decay constant and got: k=.020433025. From my book I found an equation that related the half-life and the decay constant. The equation I used was half-life= ln2/k. from this I got 33.9228861414. This is similar to the answer I got from doing the ratios, and was wrong. I only have one more attempt for full credit and I don't know exactly where I went wrong.

Note that N(t) represents the amount of radioactive substance that still remains at time t. So, if 60% has decayed, what % remains?

If you think about it, the half-life should be less than 25 years since more than half has decayed at 25 years.

Because you are talking about half life, in particular, I would use the formula (equivalent to the "e" formula TSny gives) [itex]X= C(1/2)^{t/T}[/itex] where C is the initial amount and T is the half life. (You can see that if t=0, [itex]C(1/2)^{0/T}= C[/itex] and if t= T, [itex]C(1/2)^{T/T}= C/2[/itex].)

If 60% has decayed then 40% is left so [itex].4C= C(1/2)^{25/T}[/itex]. The two "C"s will cancel leaving an equation to solve for T.

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, ultimately forming a stable nucleus. This process occurs naturally in some elements and can also be induced artificially.

What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of a radioactive isotope to decay. It is a measure of the rate at which a substance decays.

How is half-life calculated?

Half-life is calculated using the formula t1/2 = (ln 2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant is a unique characteristic of each radioactive isotope.

What is the relationship between half-life and decay constant?

The decay constant is inversely proportional to the half-life. This means that the smaller the half-life, the larger the decay constant, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation λ = ln 2/t1/2.

How is half-life used in practical applications?

Half-life is used in a variety of practical applications, including radiocarbon dating, medical imaging, and nuclear energy production. It is also used in determining the shelf life of pharmaceuticals and food products.