Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half-Lives of Elements

1. Aug 29, 2003 #1
    Besides the radioactive elements, do the other elements on the Periodic Table of the Elements have half-lives?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yes, all elements have a half-life. All atoms eventually decay. But some of the lighter elements radioactively decay so slowly that their half-life does not have much practical bearing on observational experience.

4. Aug 30, 2003 #3
    Thank You, Lurch.

5. Aug 30, 2003 #4

FZ+

Er... what about Iron? If Iron decays... what does it decay to?

6. Aug 30, 2003 #5
    Rust, I guess, Fz+.

Lurch, I have never heard this.
    Are you pulling legs?

7. Aug 31, 2003 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

Not at all. Just pointing out that the stable elements are called stable because they have halflifes longer than the supposed age of the universe, trillions of years in some cases. But the law of entropy tells us that even these must eventually break down.

8. Aug 31, 2003 #7

Nim

What is the predicted half-life of hydrogen anyways? I remember it being very huge.

Thinking about it some more. If everything has a half-life, does everything end up decaying into hydrogen and then disintegrating into subatomic particles from there?

9. Aug 31, 2003 #8

FZ+

Proton has a half life of about 10^30 years, IIRC...

10. Aug 31, 2003 #9

Nim

Has a proton ever been observed to decay?

11. Sep 1, 2003 #10

12. Sep 1, 2003 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't think anyone has ever seen a proton decay. The 10^30 years figure (now pushed up to 6*10^32, I believe) is a lower limit. They got it by observing 10^30 protons for a year and none decayed.

13. Sep 2, 2003 #12
    simplest substance?

if what is said is true,that all elements have a half-life, then it means that they would continue to disintegrate over time and would there be a stage where they would become the simplest form of particles and therefore stop disintegrating???

14. Sep 2, 2003 #13

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, this figure is a moving target. Proton decay may never be observed.

15. Sep 3, 2003 #14

LURCH

Science Advisor

Re: simplest substance?

As we get down to the simplest forms, wave/partical duality becomes a real issue. Theretically, entopy would not be satisfied with individual atoms or even sub-atomic particals. If the universe is indeed "open", and does not end, and if entropy does not cease for some other reason, all energy should break down and distribute untill there is nothing but a uniform background radiation. This is "heat death", and would be the end of entropy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?