1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half spin.(Q in QM).

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    Problem:
    a half spin has an eigenstate of the opertaor S_x (which is defined by the multiplication of half h bar times pauli sigma x matrix) of eigen value + half h bar at time t=0.
    the spin is at a magnetic field (0,0,B) which correspond to the hamiltonian [tex]H=w(B)\hbar*\sigma_z[/tex], at time T they change the direction of the magnetic field to the y direction: (0,B,0), after another time T a measurement of S_x was done, what is the probability that the value measured is the one we started with?

My answer:
    now from 0<t<T we have that [tex]|\psi(t)>=e^{-iHt/\hbar}|\psi(0)>[/tex]
    which equals: [tex]|\psi(t)>=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(cos(wt)-isin(wt),cos(wt)+isin(wt))[/tex]
    now from T to 2T we have a magnetic field working in the y direction, does it mean we should act the above operator on |psi(T)> but with the appropiate change i.e should it be soemthing like this, at time t=T, [tex]|psi(T)>=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(cos(wT)-isin(wT),cos(wT)+isin(wT))[/tex], now in order to find |psi(t)> at [T,2T] should it be:
    [tex]|\psi(t)>=e^{-iw(B)\hbar \sigma_y(t-T)/\hbar}|\psi(T)>[/tex] or something else?
    from there in order to calculate the wanted probability i need to compute:
    [tex]||<\psi(0)|\psi(2T)>|^2[/tex]
    is my approach correct or does it have loopholes?

any input?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2
    anyone?
    if someone already asked such a question please do point me to his thread.

4. May 25, 2008 #3
    okay with my approach i got that that the probability is cos^2(2wT), is correct or not, i don't know, do you?

5. May 26, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

looks ok.

6. May 26, 2008 #5
    Well I think I miss a factor of 0.25, there.

7. May 26, 2008 #6
    my bad, I got through my calculuations and i don't think there's missing a factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?